The Adult Bachelor's Program is seeking an enthusiastic Doctoral student
to join the team as a Student Advisor. The Student Advisor will serve to offer important additional academic and social support in the Adult Bachelor's Program. The Student Advisor will report directly to the Senior Director of Student and Academic Affairs and will support all aspects of the scholastic well-being of students. Under the guidance of the Senior Director, the Student Advisor will provide students a unique opportunity to work with someone who relates to their campus navigation pain points, questions, challenges and needs as the SA is currently a student
The Student Advisor is responsible for advisement, connecting with students and providing administrative support in completing various complex assignments and confidential projects. As a part of a collaborative team designed to help students reach their academic goals and achieve success, the SA will develop an on-going professional relationship with new, continuing, visiting and CPE students across the program through targeted support initiatives designed to promote student adjustment and persistence.
The New School is strongly committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and particularly seeks applications from members of underrepresented groups, as well as candidates who share this commitment.
- Throughout the academic year and during the summer- communicate with students via phone, email and face-to-face/Zoom meetings regarding academic concerns and the need for BPATS department support.
- Assist students with program policies and procedures as well as with utilizing digital academic tools.
- Maintain a solid understanding of academic policies and procedures as well as a working knowledge of all key systems needed to perform duties effectively.
- Respond to advisement requests, meet with students and provide follow-up and conduct outreach as necessary.
- Provide students with information regarding resources, departments and support services on campus; make appropriate referrals as needed. Responsible for the BPATS Student Advisor Email.
- Participate in New Student Orientation, Recognition Ceremony, webinars/workshops and other events throughout the year. Lead "Lunch and Learns" and host "Meet with the Student Advisor Hour!" and other SA led events.
- Assist in developing and organizing creative events designed to engage new and continuing students.
- Perform a variety of other administrative duties and/or special projects as assigned by the Senior Director.
Position Availability: Must be currently in the U.S. and available to start as soon as possible
Hours: Must be able to work a MINIMUM of 20 hours per week (Mon - Fri) throughout the year (incl. summer)