DEPARTMENT: International Student Office
REPORTS TO: Associate Director
Work independently and as a member of a team under moderate supervision to advise and support international students regarding immigration status and related matters.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Advise international students on their rights and responsibilities under the law for
nonimmigrant status (primarily F-1 and J-1) to ensure compliance with federal
● Serve as the first point of contact for walk-in advisement, phone calls, e-mail and
● Provide comprehensive advisement and counseling on financial, personal,
cultural and academic concerns to assist international students successfully
adjust to life at SVA.
● Serve as a Designated School Official (DSO): conduct routine to complex
business with U.S. government officials of the Student and Exchange Visitor
Program; Citizenship and Immigration Services; Customs and Border Protection
● Issue the Certificate of Eligibility, I-20 forms (initial, continued attendance,
change of educational level, transfer, program extension and shortening
● Review eligibility for employment authorization and process Curricular Practical
Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) for F-1 students.
● Maintain an accurate student file by documenting advisement, and follow other
standard record-keeping procedures.
● Counsel students who are considering an interruption of studies; identify students
of concern and make appropriate referrals; monitor progress and conduct follow-
● Assist in the planning and implementation of International Student Orientation
● Assist with workshops and information sessions; conduct occasional
presentations as necessary.
● Assist with implementing cultural activities and events to help international
students acclimate to the College community.
● Work closely with parallel offices on matters relating to international students.
● Actively participate in staff meetings.
● Attend professional development and training programs as needed.
● Handle other routine administrative duties as assigned.
● Undergraduate degree.
● A minimum of 3 years of directly related work experience serving as a
Designated School Official (DSO).
● Proficiency in a second language.
● Strong interpersonal communication and customer service skills; must have a
strong command of business English.
● Accurate data entry and record-keeping skills; meticulous attention to detail.
● Cross-cultural sensitivity and prior experience living abroad or facility in a second
● Must be able to work well and develop rapport with individuals of diverse cultures
and ethnic groups with varying levels of English proficiency.
● Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, be well-organized and task-
oriented, perform effectively under pressure and adapt to changing demands and
● Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
● Basic to intermediate knowledge of current U.S. federal regulations and SEVIS
functions pertaining to F-1/J-1 nonimmigrant status.
● Familiarity with Colleague (training will be provided); SEVIS-batch processing
software; MS Word, Excel, and social media.
● Interest and commitment to meeting the needs specific to international students.
● U.S. federal regulations require a Designated School Official (DSO) to be a US
citizen or lawful permanent resident.
Working at SVA:
School of Visual Arts has been a leader in the education of artists, designers and creative professionals for nearly seven decades. With a faculty of distinguished working professionals, dynamic curriculum, and an emphasis on critical thinking, SVA is a catalyst for innovation and social responsibility. Comprised of more than 6,000 students at its Manhattan campus and 35,000 alumni in 100 countries, SVA also represents one of the most influential artistic communities in the world.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion is a core principle of the College. SVA enjoys a community that represents a significant number of historically underrepresented communities, ethnic and religious backgrounds, gender identities, diverse abilities, and foreign countries, and all are encouraged to apply.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro