Note for Current UM EmployeesCurrent employees must apply internally via connectU >
connectu.olemiss.eduDefinition of Class
This position participates in activities associated with the admissions process for a special group of applicants requiring complex evaluation and processing procedures. Incumbent may be responsible for training and guidance of other personnel regarding admissions practices and procedures. Work is reviewed by departmental supervisor.Examples of Work Performed
- Manages, reviews and evaluates applications for admission. Assigns and enters coding information into computerized database.
- Reviews student admission files and compares course completion and grade point averages with admission requirements.
- Provides information to students concerning course selection in order to meet the admission requirements.
- Evaluates each course and validates test scores on transcripts with respect to admission requirements.
- Researches the dual-credit of course work from regionally accredited colleges and universities on an as needed basis.
- Researches the acceptability of courses from high schools across the U. S. to determine if students will have comparable content and rigor to meet freshmen admissions requirements on an as needed basis.
- Maintains appropriate filing system on assigned group of applicants; rotates files at the end of each enrollment period.
- Assists customers, both internal and external, over the telephone, in person, and via electronic communication.
- May meet with prospective students as needed.
- Notifies appropriate personnel concerning student withdrawls and admission cancellations.
- Communicates with applicants regarding admission requirements, policies, procedures for academic and non-academic programs and student activities.
- Prepares notices of admission and admission deficiencies; reviews notices for accuracy, and distributes information to proper sources.
- Enters non-traditional credit to students record for credit by exams such as Advanced Placement/CLEP/IB.
- Scans admissions documents into electronic filing system and verifies documents are entered properly.
- Opens, sorts, and routes incoming mail and prepares outgoing mail.
- Creates admission applications and checks residency.
- Answers routine correspondence; provides information to faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
- Assists in recruiting activities and distributes admissions materials.
- Performs related or similar duties as required or assigned.
These essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following. Additional essential functions may be identified and included by the hiring department. Receives and evaluates applications for admission, and enters information into a database.Maintains accurate files on applicants and assists in proper processing of applications.Corresponds with prospective students including applicants, family, alumni, and guidance counselors; answers commonly asked questions, and provides information related to admissions requirements and procedures.Interprets and applies appropriate Federal, State, and University rules and regulations. Minimum Education/Experience
Graduation from a standard four-year high school or equivalent (GED).
One (1) year experience related to the above-described duties.Salary/Wage Information
To learn more about our pay structure and view our salary ranges, click here to visit the Compensation page of our Human Resources website. This link is provided for general pay information. Hourly rate or salary may vary depending on qualifications, experience, and departmental budget. Note: Unclassified positions (faculty, executives, researchers and coaches) do not have established salary ranges.EEO Statement
The University of Mississippi provides equal opportunity in any employment practice, education program, or education activity to all qualified persons. The University complies with all applicable laws regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action and does not unlawfully discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based upon race, color, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, citizenship, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetic information.Background Check Statement
The University of Mississippi is committed to providing a safe campus community. UM conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.