INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ADVISOR, International Students and Scholars Office
- Boston University
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Grade 47- Please refer to BU HR website for details
- Closing date
- Aug 20, 2023
- Knowledge Communities
- International Student and Scholar Services
- Position Type
- Specialist, Other
- Employment Type
- Organization Type
- College / University
The International Student Advisor counsels and advises a complicated caseload of approximately 1,200 nonimmigrant international students and their dependent family members in relation to obtaining and maintaining valid immigration status, benefits of certain immigration classifications and other regulatory requirements. Directly reporting to the Associate Director for Student Services, the International Student Advisor serves as liaison to assigned schools and colleges and provides advanced immigration related advice and assistance to faculty and administrators regarding international student regulations. Join a large and dynamic student advising team and deepen your experience with non-immigrant immigration advising!
The International Student Advisor serves as Designated School Official to F-1 students and Alternate Responsible Officer to J-1 students to perform nonimmigrant F-1 and J-1 processing, monitors data and reports events as mandated by federal regulation. In addition, the position provides outreach services and workshops to students, faculty and administrators.
Please note that F-1 regulations require that a Designated School Official must document that they are a US citizen or permanent resident and J-1 Exchange Visitor regulations require this position pass a basic CORI background check.
- Essential Function 1: 30% Maintain expertise in a variety electronic systems and databases to record, monitor and report data and events mandated by federal regulations. Perform detailed data reconciliation to maintain accurate data and to monitor and report immigration related events to federal agencies.
- Essential Function 2: 20% Counsel and advise nonimmigrant students and their families in relation to University policy and regulatory requirements
- Essential Function 3: 20% Perform complex, multi-step immigration-related processing with students and their dependent family members as they apply for immigration benefits.
- Essential Function 4: 10% Serve as liaison to deans, department heads, faculty and administrators in assigned schools and colleges. Develop and maintain an in-depth knowledge of the academic programs, as well as relevant policies and procedures within each assigned school/college in order to apply immigration regulations accordingly.
- Essential Function 5: 10% Serve as Designated School Official and Alternate Responsible Officer in Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and maintain expertise in F-1 and J-1 nonimmigrant student regulations to ensure institutional compliance. Follow procedures to communicate with SEVIS Help Desk to resolve data issues. Provide contribution to analysis and development of policies, procedures and projects assigned to the student advising team.
- Essential Function 6: 10% Provide customer service, outreach services, cross-cultural and regulatory workshops to students, faculty and administrators within the assigned schools and colleges.
A cover letter is required for consideration.
- Bachelor's Degree required, Master's Degree preferred in the field of intercultural communication, international relations, or advising
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in foreign student or scholar advising
- Knowledge of SEVIS and student immigration regulations
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills to manage, analyze and resolve complicated immigration cases required
- Superior communication skills to educate students, university faculty and administrators on matters pertaining to nonimmigrant regulations and institutional policies
- Ability to understand, interpret and follow complex government regulations and institutional policies to non-native speakers of the English language
- Ability to maintain detailed immigration records, perform intricate immigration processing and ensure institutional compliance with student immigration regulations
- Patience, professionalism and high level of sensitivity when advising students in crisis required
- Ability to facilitate cross-cultural trainings, deliver effective group presentations and work effectively in a team setting required
- Adherence to Boston University's compliance policies and guidelines; sensitivity to highly confidential material required
Please note all newly hired staff and faculty will need to be in compliance with Boston University’s COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Requirement within 30 days of date of hire. You must upload your vaccine documentation or request a medical or religious exemption. For further information on the University’s response to COVID-19, please visit the Covid 19 Resources site.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military service, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, or because of marital, parental, or veteran status. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Boston University is an international, comprehensive, private research university, committed to educating students to be reflective, resourceful individuals ready to live, adapt, and lead in an interconnected world. Boston University is committed to generating new knowledge to benefit society. We remain dedicated to our founding principles: that higher education should be accessible to all and that research, scholarship, artistic creation, and professional practice should be conducted in the service of the wider community—local and international. These principles endure in the University’s insistence on the value of diversity, in its tradition and standards of excellence, and in its dynamic engagement with the City of Boston and the world. Boston University comprises a remarkable range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs built on a strong foundation of the liberal arts and sciences. With the support and oversight of the Board of Trustees, the University, through our faculty, continually innovates in education and research to ensure that we meet the needs of students and an ever-changing world.
Here at Global Programs, we advance Boston University’s global strategy and serve as a champion for global initiatives at home in Boston and abroad. We work to support a stronger, larger, and ever more diverse portfolio of global activities that builds on BU’s strengths: academic excellence; entrepreneurial ideas; a professional approach including financial, legal, and ethical responsibility; and a commitment to being a good global citizen wherever we work.
Global Program's core programs and services include:
- Strategic program support
Support institutional development, faculty growth, and the establishment of valuable transnational partnerships. Advocate for international higher education best practices in support of University goals. Foster opportunities for communication and collaboration within the University. Collect and promote information related to BU’s global dimensions and impact.
- Operations support for overseas activities.
Advise and provide training on management practices, guidelines, and planning tools to build operational excellence for conducting educational, research, and service activities overseas. Provide assistance for risk assessment and the management of risk in international efforts; build administrative competencies to support faculty in pursuing their interests globally.
- Health, safety, and security planning and response.
Develop and provide information, training, templates, and planning advice to help protect the mental and physical well-being, safety, and security of all members of our community during their travels out of the country; coordinate responses to emergency situations abroad.
Apply for INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ADVISOR, International Students and Scholars Office
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert