Central Washington University is recruiting a Program Coordinator to join our International Studies and Programs team in Ellensburg, Washington. This role is an important member of our team as they enhance the vision for the University. The role is a campus-based position, which means you get to see the lives you are impacting. We're offering a salary, depending on experience, from $37,152 - $49,404 annually plus the awesome CWU benefits.
Who we are:
We are a team of individuals committed to Changing Students' Lives. No matter what job, each of us plays a part in supporting and empowering our students to fulfill their dreams.
Working in higher education provides career growth and career choice. Think of a university campus like a mini city, operating across 380 acres. You’ll find diverse academics, libraries, athletics and sporting events, full service and quick serve dining, conferences and events from small to large, recreation centers, housing for ~10,000 students, health services, police and public safety.
Central Washington University has been named a Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program Top Producing Institution for the 2022-2023 academic year. In addition, for the seventh time in eight years, CWU is a recipient of the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine. Come join us on our journey to encourage, inspire, and create spaces where all identities thrive on campus.
Tour our campus in Ellensburg here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjdhOegDa9A.
What we offer:
Our investment in you begins the day you join our team, a healthy and successful future for you is important to us. We offer medical, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, tuition assistance for you and your dependents, discounts across town, an employee assistance program for individualized counseling, and a wellness incentive program. Learn more: www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-perks-discounts.
The Program Coordinator assists and supports the Director of ISSS in the operations of international initiatives, program development, and student support. This position will organize and implement international student orientation and ongoing programs for students, assist in tasks that relate to programming, cultural adjustment, retention, community relations, and campus wide cultural sensitivity and global awareness. This position is also responsible for ensuring international students have the appropriate health insurance as required by the university. All employees are expected to support CWU’s commitment to diversity and to bring and support inclusion into the university environment.
Orientation and Student Programming
- Plan and implement quarterly international student orientation – liaise with other OISP and CWU staff to provide a comprehensive arrival orientation
- Plan and implement student programming throughout the year
- Coordinate the student arrival and orientation process and ensure that student’s arrival needs are met
- Provide updates to the international student population through online and written communication
- Assist other OISP staff and the leadership with campus wide international programming – implement or participates in major campus programming and training initiatives (Commencement, Freshman Convocation, International Education Week, International Café, World Languages Day)
- Forecast, monitor, and reconcile student programming budgets
- Promote international student volunteerism initiatives, establishing partnerships with community organizations and the Center for Leadership and Civic Engagement (CLCE)
- Create and implement evaluations tools to demonstrate the effectiveness of programs and retention
- Coordinate a program calendar and help promote OISP programs on social media
- Communicate with faculty from academic departments who have a stake in increasing programming related to globalization initiatives
- Discover methods of communicating with students about event opportunities (i.e.: partnership with faculty development, instructors wanting to identify events that would count for extra credit; partnership with Residence Life to encourage RAs and other student leaders to help program)
- Serve as an advisor for the International House (LLC)
- Advise other international student clubs on activities and cultural events (as needed)
International Student Insurance Management
- Work with students to ensure they have proper health insurance as required by the university. This includes reviewing documentation provided by international students on F-1 and J-1 visas to determine eligibility for and, when appropriate, grants exemptions from automatic enrollment in the University’s health insurance plan
- Act as a day to day liaison between all entities by providing walk in and telephonic customer service support to all University customers
- Maintain a manual of policies and procedures pertaining to the University’s student health insurance program. This includes reviewing and making revisions to both the policy and procedures as necessary
- Participate in new student orientation sessions
- Collaborate with the university Business Services, Registrar, IT and Accounting departments to ensure smooth processes
Supervise student assistants for various projects
- Keep track of student hours and prepares budget report for S&A committee
- Actively engages in recruitment and hiring new employees
- Clearly defines performance expectations, ensure accountability, and provides ongoing informal feedback, coaching, and mentoring. Conducts formal performance evaluations
- Ensures employees have necessary resources
- Oversees and directs the work of staff; serves as mentor, coach and leader, and resolves complaints or issues
- Promotes professional development opportunities
- Develops and fosters supportive working relationships, motivation and engagement
- Communicates information to staff on an ongoing basis to influence staff engagement and to be a part of a larger community
- Takes corrective action in a timely manner
- Recognizes and rewards employees for good performance
- Schedules employee work hours/shifts; monitor hours worked; approve payable time and absence requests
- Adjusts leadership style as needed to achieve results
- Recognizes value of and promotes diverse workforce. Values and encourages diverse perspectives, creativity and teamwork
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience planning and/or coordinating events; responsibilities to include facility reservations, catering, promotion, etc.
- Experience working with or interacting with international students in an educational or cultural setting
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with cross-cultural sensitivity
- A strong commitment to being a team member of a comprehensive international education services center, along with demonstrated ability to work with little supervision
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Experience or training that demonstrates the ability to use Word, Excel, Outlook e-mail to produce written correspondence, create and maintain spreadsheets, and receive and respond to e-mail inquiries, tasks, etc.
- Demonstrated willingness and/or experience working with students and/or co-workers from a wide range of abilities, backgrounds and experiences
- OR applicable combination of education and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience working with international student programs or advising
- International experience such as studying, working, living, or traveling abroad and skills in a foreign language
- Experience working with and enrolling people into insurance plans
- Experience or knowledge of immigration laws and regulations
- Demonstrated participation in programs designed to promote inclusion
- Experience or interest in mentoring students from a variety of backgrounds
- Life experiences that demonstrate an ability to contribute to CWU’s commitment to inclusion and diversity
- Potential to mentor and educate students who will serve diverse populations
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Don’t meet every single requirement? At CWU we’re dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every requirement, we encourage you to apply anyway. This may be the job for you!
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: $3,096 /month with periodic increases up to $4,117 /month
Schedule/Appointment: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (1 hour lunch) / Some evening and weekend hours / PSE Bargaining Unit 4
Working Conditions: Work is performed in an indoor office setting with frequent in-person interactions. It is essential to be able to remain at a desk/computer workstation for prolonged periods of time, perform extensive data entry and other computer-related tasks and create/maintain filing systems for departmental records. Some evening or weekend work and/or occasional travel may be required.
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-perks-discounts.
An employee of CWU may be eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program if the employee has student loans. To learn more, visit: https://ofm.wa.gov/state-human-resources/public-service-loan-forgiveness-program.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
- Resume including work history, education, training; and
- Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: May 24, 2023 and open until filled
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications may not be considered.
Name: Steve Cook
Title: Associate Director of Education Abroad
Phone: (509) 963-3612
Please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
Conditions of Employment
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to sign a Sexual Misconduct disclosure in pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080 and submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.
This position is part of a Public School Employees of Washington (PSE) bargaining unit.
The seniority date for the selected applicant shall be set in accordance with Article 43.2 of the Public School Employees (PSE) collective bargaining agreement.