Date of first consideration: June 18, 2023
Shoreline Community College is dedicated to inclusive excellence in teaching and learning, student success, and community engagement. Shoreline serves the educational, workforce, and cultural needs of our diverse students and communities through the core themes of educational attainment and student success, program excellence, community engagement, access and diversity, and College stewardship. Shoreline Community College is a place of open inquiry and learning, with a campus that models ideals set out in our Community Standard*. We are committed to upholding a culture of free expression, as well as maintaining a supportive and respectful learning and working environment for all.
Campus video: www.shoreline.edu/apply-and-aid/campus-tour.aspx
The College’s International Education (IE) department encompasses international student recruitment, admissions, orientation, partnerships, F-1 Visa student services, academic advising, student engagement, and study abroad programs. The Senior Associate Director of International Outreach will provide leadership, strategy, and management within the department’s international student recruitment and enrollment initiatives and activities.
IE department homepage: www.shoreline.edu/international/
The position reports to Director for International Outreach and works collaboratively with administration, staff, and faculty within IE and across campus to further the College’s vision, mission, core themes, and strategic plan. The person in this role will support the Director of International Outreach and Associate Vice President for International Education and Global Engagement in the development, implementation, and management of the College’s international education activities in assigned countries. They will serve as the primary contact for overseas recruitment partners and government agencies in assigned countries providing comprehensive information related to the College’s offerings and admissions/application requirements. The position is responsible for taking the lead in creating and maintaining effective structures and processes for outreach’s back-end operations with the assistance of support staff. Additionally, they will actively contribute to marketing projects.
NOTE: This position requires international travel of up to 6 weeks per trip, at a minimum of 20 weeks annually.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Recruit international students and build global partnerships for the College
- Increase international student enrollment in assigned markets
- Develop and establish new markets for the College and maintain existing ones
- Working closely with the team, develop and implement effective strategies to invest available funds for optimal Return on Investment (ROI)
- Attend overseas recruitment events
- Responsible for leading the effort for improving and ensuring streamlined outreach operations and processes, including agent commission process, contracts, travel reimbursements, and other aspects of the program
- Supervision over classified staff
- Lead coordination of processes, meetings, and trainings for the outreach team
- Analyze and assess effectiveness of activities to ensure effective ROI
- Provide ideas for and feedback about social media posts and marketing materials to promote the College
- Lead email marketing efforts and other needed written communications, with the help of staff and student employees
- Represent the College effectively in negotiating with recruitment agents and educational partners
- Maintain active communication with students, recruiting agents, and educational partners
- Provide trip reports and updates on international education recruitment trends
- Actively work to build a strong outreach team and effective departmental and cross-campus relationships
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Two years of experience with international student recruitment or in international education at a higher education institution
- Microsoft Office skills, including Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, and Teams applications applicable to international student recruitment
- International student recruitment best practices
- Techniques for effective presentations and communication in a multicultural environment
- Cultural fluency in business and social practices and ability to learn and apply new cultural practices as needed
- Branding, marketing, and recruitment
- Linguistic fluency in one or more languages in addition to English, preferred
- Experience with utilizing a Customer Relations Management (CRM) system, preferred
- Demonstrated success with data informed recruitment strategies
- Fostering a climate of equity and belonging through multicultural and global awareness and competence
- Establishing and maintaining effective relationships with campus partners, global organizations and international student communities
- Applying theories, principles, and procedures in international student recruitment
- Marketing best practices, including providing insight and feedback on creating attractive promotional materials
- Providing leadership; motivating staff and colleagues; effectively navigating conflict for a successful outcome
- Setting up processes and structures for effective operations
- Ability to negotiate agreements and contracts with stakeholders
- Cross-cultural communication and interpersonal skills
- Working effectively individually and as part of a team, as appropriate
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships at all organizational levels
- Time management and multi-tasking with multiple partners under competing deadlines
- Preparing clear and concise written materials
- Handling difficult and sensitive situations, using independent judgment within policy and legal guidelines
- Effectively communicating (orally, listening and written) with individuals at all levels
LICENSING or OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid Passport OR ability to obtain within 30 days of employment
Conditions of Employment
PHYSICAL WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The College is currently providing services in a mixed modality of operations (both online and in-person services are offered). Administrators are assigned to work on campus, noting there may be some opportunities to work remotely based on program or area needs. If authorized for limited remote work, employees will need to provide their own workspace and internet access, noting the College will provide technical equipment and support for online work needs. When working on-campus, this position will perform work in a standard office setting, use standard office equipment and physically attend meetings both on and off campus, using the ability to communicate in person or through appropriate means. This position also works holidays, weekends, and evenings when appropriate or needed.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT/SALARY:
This is a full-time administrative/exempt annually contracted position with initial salary placement determined by the College dependent upon education/experience. Hiring of this position is contingent upon available funding as determined by the College President.
Persons with disabilities have the right to reasonable accommodation in all aspects of employment with the College. This includes, but is not limited to recruitment, application, hiring, training, termination, conditions of employment, and any other employer-supported activities. Applicants requesting accommodation should contact the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In accordance with RCW 28B.112.080, applicants considered for this position will be required to disclose if they are the subject of any substantiated findings or current investigations related to sexual misconduct at their current or past places of employment.
In compliance with the Immigration and Nationality Act, proof of authorization to work in the United States will be required at the time of hire. Other conditions that may apply will be detailed upon the offer of employment. This position is overtime exempt.
To be considered for this position, please submit the following:
- NEOGOV online application/profile/supplemental question
- Letter of interest addressing qualifications
- Current resume
- Unofficial Transcripts documenting highest degree (official required upon hire)
Applicants considered for positions at the College may be required to submit to a background check as a condition of employment. Adverse information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’ suitability for the positions.
Please Note: Once application materials have been submitted, you may not modify the application.
*Community Standard Statement
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly ..."
-- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Shoreline Community College is a place for students, employees, and the community to pursue excellence in education in an environment dedicated to equity, inclusiveness, and self-reflection. We value respectful, dynamic interactions and lively discussion. We strive to create an environment where everyone is supported and valued. Shoreline Community College does not tolerate hateful, violent, or discriminatory actions that target any person or group based on their beliefs, customs, identity, or affiliations. When one of us is diminished, all of us are diminished.
Questions (part of the application):
- What does it mean for you to have a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion? What do you believe this commitment will look like in a college setting, especially in a position with high frequency of international travel?
- The pandemic has significantly changed international recruitment. What are some strategies you might use to effectively recruit for Shoreline or a comparable community college in 2023 and beyond?
- Do you have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university? (Yes/No)
- Do you have two years of experience with international student recruitment or in international education at a higher education institution? (Yes/No)