A Group Fitness Instructor is responsible for the guiding group fitness classes that vary in format and levels, ranging from yoga to spin to strength-based to dance-based classes. This includes counting, cueing, organizing choreography, and much more.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Provides choreographed fitness instruction at the Sumers Recreation Center.
- Provides a safe and fun environment for WashU Rec fitness participants.
- Promotes knowledge of proper group fitness components, i.e.: warm up, aerobic exercise, flexibility, cool down, proper form and alignment, etc.
- Motivates and instructs participants through exercises and routines.
- Prepares workouts/choreography for fitness classes.
Serves as an advocate for fitness and healthy lifestyles at WashU.
- Creates a positive connection with fitness participants.
- Helps promote upcoming fitness classes and events.
- Fosters an inclusive fitness environment that is welcoming to all levels.
- Ability to work flexible shifts.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Current CPR, AED and First Aid certifications.
- At least one fitness certification in the specific format of instruction.
- Multiple fitness certifications with at least two years of instructional experience.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to identify and correct participant technique.
- Ability to offer exercise modifications.
- Advanced knowledge in techniques and dynamics of basic group fitness and specialty classes.
- Have an interest in inspiring all recreation participants to build habits of wellness.
- Availability to work both weekday and weekend shifts.
High school diploma and at least one fitness certification.
$20.15 - $31.26 / Hourly
The salary range reflects base salaries paid for positions in a given job grade across the University. Individual rates within the range will be determined by factors including one's qualifications and performance, equity with others in the department, market rates for positions within the same grade and department budget.
If you are unable to use our online application system and would like an accommodation, please email CandidateQuestions@wustl.edu or call the dedicated accommodation inquiry number at 314-935-1149 and leave a voicemail with the nature of your request.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. The screenings will include criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, an employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
Washington University in St. Louis is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to our employees. Benefits eligibility is subject to employment status, full-time equivalent (FTE) workload, and weekly standard hours. Please visit our website at https://hr.wustl.edu/benefits/ to view a summary of benefits.
Washington University in St. Louis is committed to the principles and practices of equal employment opportunity and especially encourages applications by those from underrepresented groups. It is the University's policy to provide equal opportunity and access to persons in all job titles without regard to race, ethnicity, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information.
Washington University is dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment - fostering respect for all and welcoming individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. Individuals with a commitment to these values are encouraged to apply.
When you are ready to apply, creating an account only takes a minute. Your account creates a candidate home page which we will use to communicate with you and allows you to apply for jobs and view your application statuses. The first page of the application offers two "Quick Apply" options. Quick Apply allows you to either use a previous application or create a new application using a resume to populate the work experience and education sections of your job application. If using a resume to populate your application, check to ensure the application fields populated accurately. You may skip the "Quick Apply" page by clicking "Next" at the bottom of the page. Documents may be uploaded in the My Experience section of the application. You also have the option to apply with a LinkedIn feature, which allows you to apply by using your LinkedIn profile to populate some of the job application fields.