WHAT IS THE LARGE BUSINESS AND INTERNATIONAL (LB&I) DIVISION?
A description of the business units can be found at: https://www.jobs.irs.gov/about/who/business-divisions
Vacancies will be filled in the following specialty areas: Large Business and International (LB&I), Director, Withholding, Exchange & International Individual Compliance (WEIIC)
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level.
As a Front Line Manager you will:
- Plan work to be accomplished by subordinates, sets and adjusts short-term priorities and prepares schedules for completion of work.
- Assign work to subordinates based on priorities, selective consideration of the difficulty and requirements of assignments, and the capabilities of employees.
- Evaluate work performance of subordinates and makes recommendations for outstanding performance recognition and/or disciplinary action.
- Give advice, counsel or instruction to employees on work and administrative matters.
- Interview candidates for positions within the organization/unit and recommend appointment, promotion or reassignment to such positions.
- Hear and resolve complaints from employees, refer group grievances and/or more serious unresolved complaints as appropriate.
- Effect minor disciplinary measures, such as warnings and reprimands, recommend other actions in more serious cases.
- Identify developmental and training needs of employees, providing or arranging for needed development and training.
- Initiate ways to improve production, work processes and/or to increase the quality of the work directed.
Conditions of Employment
STANDARD POSITION DESCRIPTIONS (SPD): PD92828 and PD92828
Visit the IRS SPD Library to access the position descriptions.
- If you are in a telework eligible position, you may be directed to temporarily telework on a full-time basis due to COVID 19. Employees must be within a 200-mile radius of their official assigned post-of-duty (POD) while in a telework status. Once normal operations resume, employees may be directed back to the office to perform the duties of their position. Telework eligibility does not guarantee telework; employees must meet and sustain IRS telework eligibility requirements and supervisor's approval to participate in the IRS Telework Program. As a reminder - If you are selected for a position, you are responsible for reporting to your designated POD (location) on the negotiated start date or as directed by management.
- Subject to a 1-year supervisory or managerial probationary period (unless already completed).
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: A Certificate as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or a bachelor's or higher degree in accounting that included at least 30 semester hours in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and an additional 6 semester hours in related subjects such as business law, economics, statistical/quantitative methods, computerized accounting or financial systems, financial management, or finance.
A bachelor's or higher degree in a field other than accounting or a combination of education and experience equivalent to 4 years that included at least 30 semester hours in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and 6 semester hours in related subjects as described above.
Currently or previously held an Internal Revenue Agent GS-0512 position for at least one year.
In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the requirements listed below:
FRONT LINE MANAGER BASIC REQUIREMENTS: You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the next lower level within the pay band or GS grade in the normal line of progression in the Federal service. To be qualifying for this position your experience should be sufficient to demonstrate:
- Experience with management techniques, methods, theories, principles and labor relations concepts, to assure optimum utilization of personnel, equipment and space for the accomplishment of all program objectives with combined technical and administrative oversight;
- Experience applying regulations, other official guidance and principles, including the latest procedures and techniques sufficient to oversee the planning, development and implementation of the technical aspects of programs specific to the position being filled;
- Experience applying basic budget management principles and practices (i.e. ability to maintain and manage financial resources);
- Experience applying communicative techniques to effectively and diplomatically interact with internal and external customers.
Experience using knowledge of complex accounting and auditing principles, standards, procedures, techniques, and changes in accounting and auditing practices to independently provide oversight and direction to others; Experience using knowledge of and experience with interpreting and applying U.S. income tax principles related to international taxation issues to improve others' technical knowledge in the area; Experience in a leadership and/or managerial role in coordinating and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders, such as Technical Advisors, Specialists, Field Operations, other operating Divisions, Counsel, Treasury as applicable, and taxpayers and their representatives, in the identification, development and resolution of tax issues; Experience using knowledge of pre and post filing examination and other compliance programs to independently provide guidance and leadership in sufficient depth to promote voluntary compliance and ensure fair and equitable compliance activity; Experience with written and verbal communications to independently provide comments, feedback, guidance, direction to others such as different levels of management, subordinates, and internal and external stakeholders; Experience providing input in evaluation of the effectiveness of an operating business unit by analyzing and assessing reports detailing audit results and metrics to identify and implement improvements.
TIME AFTER COMPETITIVE APPOINTMENT: By the closing date (or if this is an open continuous announcement, by the cut-off date) specified in this job announcement, current civilian employees must have completed at least 90 days of federal civilian service since their latest non-temporary appointment from a competitive referral certificate, known as time after competitive appointment. For this requirement, a competitive appointment is one where you applied to and were appointed from an announcement open to "All US Citizens".
Go to Understanding the IRS Paybands for GS/IR conversion. For more information on qualifications please refer to OPM's Qualifications Standards.
A copy of your transcripts or equivalent documentation is required for positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying based on education or a combination of education and experience. An official transcript will be required if you are selected. If the position has specific education requirements and you currently hold, or have previously held, a position in the same job series with the IRS, there is no need to submit a transcript or equivalent at this time. Applicants are encouraged, but are not required, to submit an SF-50 documenting experience in a specific series.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Click here for Foreign Education Credentialing instructions.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies. Additional jobs may be filled.
- The salary range indicated in this announcement reflects the minimum locality pay up to maximum locality pay for all duty locations listed. The range will be adjusted for selected duty location. General Schedule locality pay tables may be found under Salaries & Wages.
- This is a non-bargaining unit position.
- Tour of Duty: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm, Dayshift
- Travel 1-5 days not more than 25%.
- Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
- Relocation expenses: NO
- Though many locations may be listed, you will be limited to a maximum of 5 location choices. Please consider each location carefully when applying. If you are selected for a position at one of your location selections, that location will become your official post of duty.
If the position(s) are no longer needed prior to the closing date, this announcement may be closed early.
This is an open continuous announcement which will be used to fill vacancies in the locations listed as they become available for the next 12 months contingent upon funding and space requirements. Applicants must apply and/or update their applications by 11:59 pm ET at the close of the following cutoff dates to be considered: Cutoff date(s): 2/16/2023 and 4/26/2023. This announcement may be amended to include additional cut-off dates within the12-Month Roster month period if needed, not later than 10 days prior to the additional cut-off date(s). Eligible applicants in the highest quality group who apply by the initial cut-off date will be considered first. If additional vacancies exist, applicants who applied after the initial cutoff date who place in the highest quality group will be considered next. Selections from this announcement may be made no later than (NLT) February 16, 2024.