The Sr./Assistant Director of Admission & International Student Services will take a proactive approach to the planning, implementation, and administration of programs and interventions focused on increasing international student success and retention at Merrimack College. This position spans all aspects of the student lifecycle - from pre-arrival to exit or post-graduation and takes a holistic approach to student development. As part of a networked team, the incumbent will serve as a main point of engagement on matters related to academic compliance, support services, and programs aimed at creating a high quality, streamlined experience for international students.
- Guide students on College academic policies and procedures, degree requirements, registration, and other academic issues particularly as it relates to F-1 non-immigrant Visa compliance.
- Persistently manage international student cases. Coordinates support for international students experiencing cross-cultural, family, personal or economic issues which may impact academic performance. Assists students to access appropriate campus and community services/resources.
- Coordinate academic programming that supports the unique academic needs of international students including, but not limited to: pre-arrival preparation, orientation, academic acculturation, and other activities that support international student academic success on campus.
- Serve as a lead Designated School Official (DSO) maintaining all rules and regulations set forth by the US Department of Homeland Security and US Department of State for hosting international students.
- Provide supplemental academic advising to international students, such as degree audits, course enrollment, evaluating grades/academic history and placement test scores and serves as student advocate in matters related to grievances, grading issues, tuition appeals, etc.
- Act as liaison to campus and community related to international students - continue to develop and strengthen programming and educational partnerships with campus units such as Admission, Academic Success Center, Office of Student Involvement, Global Education, the O'Brien Center etc. to coordinate and enhance international students' support and experience with a goal of improving the international student engagement and retention.
- Participate in the implementation of marketing and communication strategies including development and execution of print, online and social media marketing and communication campaigns for current students, partners, prospective students and their parents and maintaining and improving the ISS webpage.
- Assist with assuring quality of services provided by recruitment partners and agencies, including building innovative tactics for recruiting, substantive initial and on-going training and materials, quality assurance measures, evaluation, and reporting on strength of partner relationships.
- Assist admission team in both in-person and virtual international recruitment and yield events, including signature events of Open House and Admitted Student Day.
- Serve as a resource to internal and external constituents throughout the application and matriculation process. Assist in review and selection of international applicants for admission to the College.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the Division of Enrollment Management and Office of Undergraduate Admission.
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal and multicultural skills and the ability to establish and develop long-term relationships with students, families, internal and external partners.
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively in a complex environment with multiple stakeholders.
- Flexibility to work nights and weekends as needed.
- Able and willingness to travel abroad independently.
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years' experience working in higher education with experience in admission, international student advising and support, global education and study abroad, or a related area preferred.
- Preference is given to those with training in F-1 visa immigrations regulations, and Department of Homeland Security/SEVIS regulations, and other federal regulations relating to international students.
- Experience with student relational database and CRM system helpful.
- Demonstrated experience delivering exceptional customer service to diverse customers.
- 1-3 years as a DSO required, experience in SEVP academic guidelines preferred.
To Apply: Please apply with a resume and cover letter.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 vaccination policy.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack's Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
About Merrimack College
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The College's 260-acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master's Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report's ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.