The Admissions Office is responsible for enrolling students who contribute to and benefit from the mission of HWS. In support of this, the Director of Admissions, leads divisional priorities related to cultivating demand for enrollment at HWS in the prospective student marketplace, as indicated by key performance indicators (e.g. applications, campus visits, yield rates), as well as the selection of qualified candidates for enrollment. These functions include strategic recruitment planning, admission counseling, visit and event initiatives, and staff supervision. The Director helps build relationships with prospective students, school and independent counselors, and community-based organizations in addition to collaborating with faculty and staff in other departments on recruitment and admissions related matters.
Recruitment and Admissions Counseling
- As a member of the Enrollment Leadership team, directs the development, implementation and management of the admissions recruitment and regional marketing programs.
- Lead admission recruitment staff in the design, planning, and implementation of strategies customized to individual prospective students and their influencers.
- Monitor success of the admission recruitment team through reporting and related analysis and make adjustments as necessary to optimize success.
- Make presentations and represent HWS at events internally and externally (e.g., college fairs, high school visits, industry conferences), in an effort to promote the Colleges and encourage prospective students to apply for admission.
- Perform admission counseling efforts for assigned territory including recruitment travel and events and conducting interviews with prospective students to familiarize them with HWS and to assess their interests and goals.
- Oversee the Visitor Experience program including day visits and special events, such as Open Houses.
Budgeting and Staff Hiring and Supervision
- Oversee the hiring and development of assigned staff - including annual performance dialogues to support professional growth.
- Train, supervise, and develop staff members focused on admission counseling and relationship cultivation at the individual level.
- Manage departmental budgets for assigned budget lines.
Institutional Citizenship and Professional Development
- Maintain strong knowledge of HWS' programs, offerings, and resources.
- Collaborate with staff colleagues, especially in financial aid and marketing, on cross-office efforts to meet enrollment goals.
- Serve as project manager for admission initiatives/relationships as assigned.
- Serve on institutional committees/task forces.
- Keep up to date with enrollment management trends by reading professional publications and participating in professional organizations and educational/training opportunities.
- Perform similarly related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required, master's preferred.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressive admissions experience required, with higher education admissions preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience managing and directing a professional staff with demonstrated ability to lead in a team environment.
- Advanced knowledge and use of Slate preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with, and respond to concerns of, diverse student groups.
- Excellent data analysis and interpretation skills.
- Strong understanding of the issues and challenges of a tuition-dependent, high cost private education.
- Strong understanding of and appreciation for the strategic use of financial aid in enrollment management.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent time management skills and highly organized.
- Strong customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Domestic travel and evening and weekend work required.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume and the names with contact information of at least three (3) professional references to our application service, Interfolio (utilizing the Apply link on the right). Background check required.
If you have a question or need help on uploading your application materials, please contact Interfolio's support team at email@example.com or call 1-877-997-8807 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. through 6 p.m., EST, Monday through Friday.
Hobart and William Smith Colleges are committed to providing a non-discriminatory and harassment-free educational, living and working environment for all members of the HWS community, including students, faculty, staff, volunteers, and visitors. HWS prohibits discrimination and harassment in their programs and activities on the basis of age, color, disability, domestic violence victim status, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected under the law. Discrimination on the basis of sex includes sexual harassment, sexual violence, sexual assault, and other forms of sexual misconduct including stalking and intimate partner violence, and gender-based harassment that does not involve conduct of a sexual nature.