Admissions Counselor II
Texas A&M University - Commerce
Proposed Minimum Salary
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
During the application process the “My Experience ” page has a section provided “Attachments (Resume/CV, References, Cover letter, etc.)” to upload required documents.
- Use the Upload button to add each document.
- You will be able to upload up to 5 documents. Be aware that the maximum size allowed for any one document is 5MB.
- All documents must be electronically submitted through the Texas A&M Online Employment Services website to be considered.
- Incomplete or improperly submitted applications may be excluded from consideration.
Please provide the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Three professional references with complete contact information (Unsolicited letters of recommendation will not be considered).
- Transcripts (Unofficial will be accepted with application. Official transcripts are required at time of verbal offer). If transcripts are from an international institution, it is the responsibility of the prospective faculty member to have the transcripts translated and evaluated by an approved credential evaluator.
Please do not withdraw your application in an attempt to upload a missing document. If you need assistance with this or any other matter, please contact us at HR.Hiring@tamuc.edu.
The Admissions Counselor, under general supervision is responsible for raising awareness of Texas A&M University-Commerce to increase student enrollment while serving as the primary liaison to administrators, teachers, non-profit organizations, parents and students. The Admissions Counselor represents Texas A&M University-Commerce at college fairs and high school/community college recruitment visits in the designated city and surrounding areas. The Admissions Counselor counsels prospective students and their families regarding admission requirements, academic programs, financial aid and scholarships, residential living, student organizations, and student support services. The Admissions Counselor conducts formal presentations, plans activities, events, and responds to written, phone, email, and in-person inquiries. The Admissions Counselor will manage all aspects of recruitment and outreach by managing and building strong relationships with schools, Independent School Districts, and community stakeholders and performs data collection and analysis of key performance metrics.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Contributes to the achievement of enrollment and recruitment goals and objectives by, conducting high school/community college visits, admission presentations, and campus tours, attending college fairs and providing TAMUC college transition counseling in areas including, but not limited to: academic programs, student services, financial aid and scholarships, admission policy, college application process, and transfer.
- Maintains student information system, CRM, and other databases relevant to student records for accurate record keeping of all recruitment activity to ensure department goals are met and compliance is maintained with records management, privacy, and office procedures.
- Demonstrates excellence in customer service through consistent follow-up with prospective students and their families, current, and existing school partnerships via phone, email, text, and individual meetings to provide student enrollment support and troubleshoot enrollment barriers.
- Schedules and conducts recruitment visits and special campus events for all partners and prospective students; as well as collaborates with university faculty, staff and students to build and share knowledge to enhance outreach and recruitment efforts.
- Participates in educational guidance activities, on- and off-campus events, and conferences with students and officials from high schools, community colleges and community organizations (e.g. local counselor conferences, Mane Event Preview Day, Counselor Updates, Transfer Workshops, etc.).
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses and conferences, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Director of Undergraduate Admissions in Recruitment.
- Keeps abreast of current information about academic programs and related student services opportunities used to guide the student and school/college partners through the enrollment process.
- Contributes to the overall success of the Division of Enrollment Management and the University by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience / Knowledge / Skills: Minimum of one (1) year related work experience in: advising, recruitment, University programs, marketing, customer service, or similar field. Knowledge of spreadsheets, and database applications and use of a CRM are required. Excellent oral and written communication skills and sensitivity to issues related to the retention and recruitment of a diverse student body are required. Good organizational skills and demonstrated ability to work independently are required. Knowledge of spreadsheets, database applications, and use of a CRM are required. Familiarity with office applications software, preferably Microsoft Office, is required. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop positive relationships with prospective students and their families is required.
- Ability to: Ability to multitask in a busy office environment with multiple interruptions, including managing a high volume of emails and phone calls. Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with others. Ability to present information clearly and concisely. Ability to use technology to track and process students through Undergraduate Admissions processes. Ability to collect, write, and report various types of data sets. Ability to communicate information individually, in small groups or in formal large group settings. Ability to travel to high school and community college day and night programs and other visits throughout Texas is required. Ability to work early mornings, late evenings, and/or work on weekends.
- Licensing/Professional Certifications: Valid driver’s license.
- Physical Requirements: Ability to lift moderately heavy objects.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Other Requirements: This position will require 60-75% or greater out-of-town travel that could extend to overnight(s).
PREFERRED EDUCATION / SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE:
Two (2) years of experience in an education-focused non-profit (including community-based organizations or institutions of higher education). Familiarity with database systems such as Ellucian Banner, PeopleSoft or some other type of database product utilized by institutions of higher learning is preferred. . Strong sales background and people skills preferred, background in customer service, sales, marketing, and higher education are beneficial.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
May supervise Student Workers
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
We are Commerce. We are Lions!
Welcome! We are excited that you want to forge your future with a career at Texas A&M University-Commerce. Our main campus is located in Commerce, Texas, at the eastern edge of North Texas with multiple instructional sites as well as a robust online presence. We are proud to be one of the largest universities in the prestigious Texas A&M University System.
Since 1889 A&M-Commerce has educated the people of Texas and, ever increasingly, points beyond. We remain true to our founder William Leonidas Mayo’s creed of “ceaseless industry, fearless investigation, unfettered thought, and unselfish service to others.”
Texas A&M University-Commerce is committed to and promotes equal opportunity for all. This commitment includes equal employment opportunity, affirmative action, and program accessibility. It is also committed to make its workplaces, campuses, and programs accessible to all, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Furthermore, we encourage and foster a workplace community where individuals are valued for their diverse backgrounds.
Texas A&M University-Commerce is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to Diversity.
If you need assistance in applying for this job, please contact (903) 886-5080 or HR.Hiring@tamuc.edu.