The Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS) is dedicated to serving Michigan State University’s (MSU) international community. Our goal is to assist international students and scholars in successfully accomplishing their academic and personal objectives. OISS provides support services to over 5,000 international students and more than 1,000 visiting international scholars annually. In addition, OISS develops year-round academic, cultural and social programming, and serves as a global resource for the larger MSU community. OISS contributes to the internationalization of MSU by providing opportunities for growth through cross-cultural interactions.
Reporting to an Assistant Director, the Senior International Student and Scholar Advisor (International Student/Scholar Adviser II) provides the full range of expert immigration services to students and scholars and serves as Designated School Official (DSO) for the F-1 student program and an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for the J- visa program; maintains in-depth, advanced knowledge to interpret and provide guidance on federal immigration regulations as they pertain to our international students and scholars; independently advises students and scholars and their respective departments and recommends solutions related to immigration status and overall immigration strategy. This position will advise staff, faculty and administration on immigration and intercultural issues.
Senior International Student and Scholar Advisor is a member of Student Advising Team in OISS, whose responsibilities include office wide training on F regulations; maintaining office practices related to student immigration issues; student immigration related reporting; collaborating with university partners on issues related to students; issuing initial immigration documents for students; immigration related communication to students. The Senior International Student and Scholar Advisor assists the Assistant Director with leadership of the student advising team as needed.
The Senior International Student and Scholar Advisor provides coordination for public facing services in OISS including the department reception desk and on-line services. This includes developing and implementing practices and policies for public facing services; documenting traffic flows; hiring, supervising, and providing on-going training for the reception desk student staff; collaborating with OISS colleagues as needed; liaising with other campus units including the one-stop shop to best support international students, scholars, and employees, university colleagues, and the public.
Because of the nature of this position the incumbent will be expected to be on-site full-time during the initial onboarding phase (first six months). They will be expected to be on-site up on average four days a week or more during peak times on an on-going basis.
Major Position Responsibilities
- Serve as a Designated School Official (DSO) and an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for the university’s F-1 student program and J-1 Exchange Visitor program.
- Advise international students and scholars and academic departments on immigration regulations and benefits related to F and J statuses.
- Identify, and support non-F/J international students including, H/E/L visas, etc.
- Work with students and scholars on various personal, academic and financial issues.
- Manage, create, issue and update initial immigration documents in SUNAPSIS and SEVIS
- Assist in development, coordination and delivery of OISS programs, workshops and presentations.
- Serve as a resource and liaison with campus partners on immigration regulations matters.
- Provide immigration advice to incoming students
Student Advising Team
- Work with the reporting team to assure MSU’s reporting compliance
- Collaborate with the student advising team to interpret complex regulations related to international students and scholars.
- Support, mentor and serve as a resource for international student advisors
- Develop and provide training on various processes for the student advising team
- Lead team initiatives including continuously updating forms and resources, creating and developing digital content to enhance OISS digital presence, continue building and maintaining OISS multimedia training tools and presenting at recruitment events.
- Administrative and other duties as assigned
Public Facing Services
- Develop, implement and evaluate practices, policies, communication and initiatives to ensure strategic and effective management of OISS’ public facing services.
- Collect and analyze data related to public facing services provided by OISS to enhance the hybrid nature of OISS’ services and to make data-driven decisions
- Develop and implement an escalation plan on sensitive cases/situations
- Coordinate with the leadership team, the synapsis coordinator and the website team on a smooth and efficient operation of OISS’ public facing services. Hire, train, supervise, develop and evaluate reception desk students
- Collaborate with the assistant director to develop, maintain and manage front desk budget, including student staffing and equipment.
- Continuously evaluate and improve the quality of services and processes at OISS
- Create training programs for front end students and coordinate with all staff to provide excellent services to international Spartans and campus partners
- Work with front desk students to complete required training, including FERPA, RVSM, SARV
- Collaborate with the scholar team and host departments in streamlining services and resources offered to MSU international scholars.
- Administrative and other duties as assigned
Successful applicants will be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. lawful permanent resident in order to work as a DSO/ARO per federal law.
Application closes June 13, 2023 at 11:55 PM EDT.