Position/Classification Title Student Services Specialist
Working Title Student Services Specialist
Competency Level Journey
Position Number 100536
Salary Grade Equivalent 67
Appointment Type Permanent - Full Time
FTE 1 = 40 hours/week, 12 months
If time limited, duration date
Career Banding Range (Employment Only) $31200 - $83866
Department Hiring Range $31200 - $44,628
EEO-1 Category Professionals
SOC Code 43-9199 - Office and Administrative Support Workers, All Other
Primary Function of Organizational Unit
The purpose of this organizational unit is to administer all of the student financial assistance, and to coordinate all of the Title IV student assistance programs, in which the institution participates, with the institutions' other federal and non-federal programs of student financial assistance. Our population exceeds 7,500 students with over 90% receiving financial assistance through our office. This unit is responsible for the accountability of approximately $50 million in student assistance
Primary Purpose of Position
The primary purpose of this position is to counsel students, parents and the public concerning the entire range of financial aid programs. The responsibilities of this position include determining student eligibility, advising students and parents of specific financial aid opportunities and responding to correspondence. The candidate will be expected to understand and apply federal, state and university policies and procedures and must also possess a general knowledge of the Student BANNER system.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The successful candidate must possess a thorough knowledge of Federal financial aid regulations and programs, the need analysis process, financial aid packaging in an automated environment and the US Department of Education Title IV Delivery System; knowledge of automated financial aid database system and Electronic Data Exchange; knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access) Applications; The individual must be a dynamic, highly skilled financial aid professional. The successful candidate will provide guidance to students, parents, and prospective students regarding financial aid and other pertinent financial counseling; help the financial aid team surpass all expectations; and will participate in various activities promoting professional development.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
• Serves as primary point of contact for current and prospective students
• Counsels and advises students about financial aid eligibility, application procedures, aid programs, costs, and indebtedness
• Individualizes information to the particular needs and situations of the student
• Uses clear and understandable communication with students, parents, and potential students regarding financial aid counseling
• Assists students with estimating their educational expenses to calculate their needs for the year, and preparing a financial plan
• Conducts verification review for selected students according to federal regulations
• Reviews and ensures student aid awards are accurate for designated advising group
• Notifies students of changes in eligibility of awards and alternatives to amend the situation
• Uses enhanced internal and external communication systems to inform students and parents about financial aid awards and department's policies and procedures
• Ensures compliance with all financial aid policies, procedures and regulations when reviewing financial aid applications; exercise judgment when interpreting federal and state regulations for specific student situations
• Participates with presentations of financial aid related issues
• Assists the director of financial aid in reviews and reports to ensure compliance of department with regulations
• Assists team members when necessary to enable the success of the department.
• Knowledge of Federal Title IV awards and regulations as well as FERPA.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Exceptional customer service orientation
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate sensitive and/or complex information in a confidential and straightforward manner
Must be a creative problem solver
• Proficient user of Microsoft Office and experienced in financial database systems
• Must possess a high level of accuracy, self-motivation, strong attention to detail, and the ability to handle a heavy workload
• Familiarity with academic environment, policies and procedures
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to organize and prioritize multiple complex projects and tasks simultaneously
• Demonstrated service aptitude and ability to work independently as well as with students, parents, and colleagues.
• Must be willing to work additional hours when necessary.
Banner and NextGen/Dynamic Forms experience preferred
Master's degree; or an equivalent combination of a Bachelor's degree and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Licenses or Certification required by Statute or Regulation
Equal Opportunity Employer
North Carolina Central University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
Work Hours Monday - Friday 8-5
Position required to work during periods of adverse weather or other emergencies No
Campus Security Authority Designated Position Yes
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number SPA01107P
Open Date 10/06/2022
Close Date 06/08/2023
Special Instructions to Applicants
NCCU COVID Policy
Effective March 7, 2022, Please refer to the NCCU COVID 19 webpage: https://www.nccu.edu/covid-19
- Cover Letter
- DD-214 (for Veterans Only)
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- *Explain your working knowledge of Federal Financial Aid regulations and programs.(Open Ended Question)
- *What is your working knowledge of Banner or equivalent system?(Open Ended Question)
- *Please explain excellent customer service.(Open Ended Question)
1801 Fayetteville St., Durham, NC, 27707 // 919-530-6334 //© 2015 NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL UNIVERSITY
To ensure the security of your data, you will be logged out due to inactivity in 3 minutes at
Any data not saved will be lost.
Click 'OK' to keep your session active.