Working Title Associate Dean of the Honors College and International Education Role Title 12 month - Admin - Asst Prof Role Code 01124-SW FLSA Exempt Pay Band 00 Position Number 294FA038 Agency Southwest Virginia Community College Agency/Division Southwest Virginia Community College (Div) Work Location Tazewell - 185 Hiring Range $70,713 to $90,216 annually Emergency/Essential Personnel No EEO Category A-Official or Administrator Full Time or Part Time Full Time Does this position have telework options? -Telework options are subject to change based on business needs- No Does this position have a bilingual or multilingual skill requirement or preference? No Work Schedule
M-F 7:45a to 4:30p
Some evening and weekends may be required.
Sensitive Position No
Southwest Virginia Community College (SWCC) offers career-training programs in numerous technical, industrial and medical fields at a reasonable cost, going so far as to even waive tuition for certain eligible students. Located in Richlands, Virginia, SWCC offers associate's degrees in such fields as business, education, general studies, liberal arts and science. These degrees are primarily intended for students who wish to transfer to a four-year university. SWCC also has associate degrees that feature programs intended to lead directly to a career in fields such as Nursing, Radiography and Administration of Justice.
Southwest Virginia Community College seeks a dynamic leader to serve as Associate Dean of the Honors College and International Education. This position reports directly to the Vice President of Academics and Student Services.
Job duties include:
- Recruitment of at least 25 honors-eligible students each year, including students from Kentucky and West Virginia
- Advisement of students for honors related requirements, including mapping honors requirements into an overall program of study
- Plan and implement activities to support increased enrollment and retention at the College
- Creation and maintenance of articulations for at least four local Honors Colleges
- Creation and implementation of an Honors Series that include practical skills such as resumes, cover letters, and transfer applications as well as academic experiences such as lecturers and research development
- Strategic planning with deans and senior staff to establish vision for the short term, mid-range, and long-term health of the program
- Maintenance of honors calendar
- Management of honors committee
- Serve as a sponsor or co-sponsor of the Student Government Association
- Consult with Academic Deans on the development and management of Curriculum including the creation of an honors-only general education courses, by-contract honors courses, and Capstone experiences
- Expansion of honors programming by developing Honors programs in transfer education, career and technical education, health care education, and a second-year honors experience
- Oversight of study-abroad opportunity as primary planner or as a consultant for faculty and staff, including at least one domestic and one international opportunity each year
- Preparation and management of grants related to honors education or study abroad opportunities
- Assessment and reporting of program outcomes in honors and study abroad
- Instruction to include at least one honors seminar and one honors course each term, either as the primary instructor or as a partner with another instructor
- Oversight of budget for all honors programing and for all global education initiatives
May be required to perform other duties as assigned. May be required to assist the agency or state government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor.
- Master's degree or equivalent combination of work experience
- Excellent ability to communicate in both written and verbal form.
- Experience with budget and resource management.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse populations.
- Administrative experience in international education
- Study abroad and away
- Diversity, high impact educational practices, instruction, and honors education
Operation of a State Vehicle Yes Supervises Employees No Required Travel
Travel is required.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number FAC_1069P Recruitment Type General Public - G Number of Vacancies 1 Position End Date (if temporary) Job Open Date 08/30/2023 Job Close Date 09/30/2023 Open Until Filled No Agency Website www.sw.edu Contact Name Human Resources Email email@example.com Phone Number 276.964.7339 Special Instructions to Applicants
In support of the Commonwealth's commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring
Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to
DARS to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: https://www.vadars.org/drs/cpid/PWContact.aspx, or call DARSat 800-552-5019.
To be considered for this position, you must complete the full state application. Please visit www.jobs.vccs.edu to apply.
For more information, please see the Opportunity Profile.
Background Check Statement Disclaimer
The selected candidate's offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth's Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.
Quicklink for Posting https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/65193
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Writing Sample
- Other Document
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Statement of Leadership Philosophy