Posting Opens August 22, 2023 Posting Closes September 2, 2023
The Akron Board of Education announces openings for Student Services Safety Team Members, Job Code 318S, Time Schedule 401. Salary: TBD. This is a School Employees Retirement System position.
Application must be made electronically through https://www.applitrack.com/akron/onlineapp/.
The Superintendent reserves the right to either keep the position open until suitable applicants are found or to cancel and repost the position with such changes as may be deemed appropriate. For further information, please contact Don Zesiger, Director, Safety & Security at 330-761-2731 or Human Resources, 330-761-2753.
- High school diploma or G.E.D.;
- Must satisfactorily complete Bureau of Criminal Investigation background check.
- Must have a high degree of physical stamina to be capable of performing the physical demands of the job;
- Ability to be tactful and exercises good judgment;
- Ability to work effectively with others;
- Ability to work with diverse populations;
- Ability to communicate oral and/or written ideas and directives clearly and effectively;
- Ability to follow oral and written directions;
- Effective, active listening skills;
- Organizational and problem-solving skills;
- Frequent requirement to climb, i.e., steps on bus;
- Occasional requirements to restrain.
- An employee in this position exercises a high level of judgment and tact in working with staff, students and visitors in APS buildings or other assigned areas;
- May also be assigned to ride school buses to support student behavior and safety of students;
- Monitor student behavior to support a positive educational opportunity for each child;
- Interact with students while monitoring the halls during class changes, lunch and dismissal;
- Monitors school parking lots, school grounds and all common areas in a school building or school bus to provide a safe, orderly, and affirming school environment;
- Reports to administrators when students violate the Code of Student Behavior or specific building rules;
- Assists in locker searches and building searches when warranted;
- Assists in monitoring visitors to the building to provide access information and sign in procedures;
- Assists in monitoring student activities;
- Assists in monitoring student, staff and visitor activities before and after school and during class changes;
- Assists Student Support Services and Security and building administration with specific or anticipated security problems, which may include students, parents, visitors, and/or intruders;
- Works with APD and SRO's, Student Services personnel, building counselors and administrators to provide a safe, orderly, and affirming educational program;
- Perform surveillance inside or outside as deemed necessary by building principal;
- Performs duties deemed necessary by the principal or supervisor or Director of Student Support Services and Security or designee for maintenance of a safe, orderly and affirming environment;
- May interact with parents through telephone or personal conference regarding student absences;
- May promote positive participation opportunities for students in the building within the course of the school day;
- May interact with students in refocusing and restoring their attention to classroom, school and district rules;
- May interact with building personnel and students to insure successfully transitioning students from alternative programs into regular building and/or classroom environment;
- May identify and communicates the needs of students to building personnel and referral sources;
- Works under the supervision of the Director of Student Support Services and Security and the building principal or designee.
If you require any special services (such as interpreter, braille or large print, or wheelchair-accessible accommodations) covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Public Law 101-336, Section 102, please call the Department of Human Resources at 330-761-2949. If you are using a TTY/TTD, please call the Ohio Relay Service, 1-800-750-0750.
Akron Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including sexual orientation and transgender identity), disability, age, religion, military status, ancestry or genetic information (collectively, "Protected Classes").
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.