Briya is committed to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) within our organization and the communities we serve. We embrace diversity of experiences, ideas, and individuals, and seek to bring a diverse group of candidates to the table.
Important Note: Briya is mandating the COVID-19 vaccine + booster for all staff.
The Student Services Assistant is part of the Student Services team at Briya Public Charter School - a leading two-generation education program serving immigrant parents and their young children. Briya is a Tier One Public Charter School, consistently achieving the highest educational outcomes through its innovative, family-centric programming.
At Briya, adults acquire English, digital literacy, and parenting skills, with some continuing to the school's workforce development programs. At the same time, their young children attend Briya's high-quality early childhood program.
Briya has a strategic partnership with Mary's Center, a Federally Qualified Health Center, further strengthening student families with comprehensive medical, dental, and social services.
Briya is unique not only because of its integration of adult and early childhood education but also because of its commitment to looking at student families holistically and assisting them in overcoming any barriers they face. At three of its four campuses, Briya is co-located with Mary's Center, which provides Briya students with wraparound services including mental health care, dental care, social services, and WIC, as well as assistance accessing SNAP, TANF, and other social supports. Student Services Coordinators are key in ensuring adult students and their families gain access to services at Mary's Center, as well as to services offered by other community partners.
The Student Services Assistant position may include, but is not limited to, the following tasks and responsibilities:
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist adult students with applications and renewals for public benefits, including Medicaid,
DC Alliance, SNAP (food stamps) and TANF.
- Assist adult students with scheduling appointments (internal and external).
- Review and respond to referrals made to Student Services team by other staff members.
- Assist Student Services team with updating community resources lists and other projects.
- Refer adult students and families to services at Mary's Center and outside agencies.
- Appropriate documentation of referrals and outcomes, including maintaining monthly
statistics and providing reports as needed.
- Report incidents of suspected child abuse and neglect and participate as an active member
of the intervention team to assist families.
- Support and participate in family field trips and other special events.
- Coordinate and distribute donations from Mary's Center and the community.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Student Services Director.
Education and/or Experience
- High School Credential required. Bachelor's degree is preferred in social work, education, special education, or its equivalent. Related experience without a formal degree will be considered.
- Experience working in social services or education with immigrant communities preferred.
- Excellent communication skills in English and Spanish. Other languages (Amharic, Tigrinya, French, and/or Arabic) also highly valued, but Spanish is required.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, analytical, and organizational skills
Reasoning Ability - Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out highly-complex, multi-step instructions and make appropriate independent decisions as necessary.
Physical Demands - Regularly required sitting; frequently required to reach with hands and arms, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear; must be able to lift objects up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment - Mostly in a typical office setting with quiet to moderate noise level.