The Associate Dean for Student Affairs (AD-SA) is a key member of the School of Dental Medicine's senior leadership team and has oversight for student-related activities and programs. The AD-SA has primary responsibility for all aspects of student life and student services, ensuring a smooth acclimation for newly admitted students into the DMD program and throughout the time of their enrollment in the ECU SoDM.
The AD-SA assumes primary responsibility for student support, advocacy and guidance throughout the time of student enrollment; facilitation of a humanistic and inclusive learning environment for all students; and transition to postdoctoral training and practice.
In each of these strategic areas, the AD-SA assures full alignment with the vision of the ECU School of Dental Medicine in educating leaders with a passion to serve as primary care dentists in rural and underserved communities across the State of North Carolina.
The AD-SA provides leadership and mentoring for the entire Student Affairs team, including the Assistant Dean for Admissions (AD-A), the Director of Admissions, the Director of Student Services, the Director of Counseling and Student Development, the Admissions Coordinator, and administrative support staff and student workers.
The AD-SA position encompasses teaching and administrative responsibilities. Specific duties include:
- Collaborating with the Director of Student Services in overseeing student communications and activities, including student government and organizations, student housing, and student related events (e.g., orientation, Family Day, White Coat Ceremony, graduation).
- Chairing the Student and Resident Affairs Committee and serving as an advocate for students who are facing a wide range of personal and professional challenges and assuring their ready access to resources.
- Working with the Director of Counseling and Student Development in maximizing each student's academic success and retention, and in supporting student development.
- Interfacing with the Learning Specialist and other team members within the Office of Academic Success.
- Collaborating with the ECU Office of Student Financial Aid in assuring that students understand the financial investment in their education and have the understanding to practice in a manner and setting that aligns with the vision and mission of the SoDM.
- Supporting students and alumni in developing their post-graduation plans; facilitating students' understanding of processes; writing letters of recommendation
- Chairing the Scholarship Committee and advising the SoDM Student Awards Committee
- Representing the SoDM in interfacing with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- Actively participating in faculty roles such as teaching, scholarly pursuits and providing patient care, and contributing broadly to the mission of the SoDM.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean of the SoDM
- Contingent upon available funding.
The AD-SA works closely with the other administrative team members including department chairs, vice dean, associate/assistant deans, program directors, and University and System colleagues. The AD-SA reports to directly to the Dean of the SoDM.
AAH SODM STUAFF MGMT RECRUITMENT