Southwestern University, located in Georgetown has an immediate opening for a Assistant Director of Study Abroad and International Student Services position. The Assistant Director will provide guidance and assistance to Southwestern students who wish to study abroad as well as providing information to faculty, staff, alumni and parents about study abroad; and supports faculty-led programming. This position provides international students visa support and programming. This is a full-time, fully benefited, exempt position who reports to the Director of Study Abroad and International Student Services.
- Study Abroad Support.
International Student Services.
- Advises students regarding study abroad options with the goal of identifying the best program(s) to fit the student’s academic, financial, and personal needs. Oversees outreach and marketing of study abroad programs, including coordinating the study abroad fair. Maintains the Office of Study Abroad and International Student Services website, Facebook page, Instagram and Twitter accounts. Processes student study abroad applications, including pre-departure forms and scholarship applications.
Student Employee Supervision.
- Maintains files on all F-1 and ISEP students (paper and electronic). Serves as a Designated School Official (DSO), issues Form I-20’s, maintains records in SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) for F-1 students. Advises F-1 international students on visa requirements and regulations. Coordinates International Student Orientation, social events, and program in collaboration with the Director. Holds information sessions on specific visa regulations (e.g. OPT & CPT) in collaboration with the Director.
Additional Responsibilities. Keeps abreast of trends and changes in the education abroad field. Remains current on international student visa regulations. Serves on University committees as requested Perform other duties as assigned.
- Oversees the hiring, training, timesheets and evaluation of student workers including study abroad peer mentors.
- Bachelor’s Degree One year of experience advising and/or coordinated study abroad programs in a higher education setting. Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident as required by the Department of Homeland Security for Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) access. Ability to interact effectively with a broad range of constituents (students, parents, faculty, alumni, on campus staff and overseas staff and institutions). Excellent interpersonal, project management, problem-solving, and presentation skills. Proficiency with Google (Gmail, Slides, Sheets, etc.) and databases. Highly-organized, detail-oriented, and able to execute multiple tasks quickly and accurately. Proven ability to perform well in stressful situations. Understanding and commitment to a liberal arts education, including the ability to relate to a liberal arts faculty.
Preferred Position Requirements:
- Experience in a liberal art setting, similar to Southwestern University. Three plus years’ experience with study abroad programs in a higher ed setting. Experience supporting international students. Experience with SEVIS.
Southwestern University offers competitive salary and benefits including health, dental, life, long term disability, retirement, paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, under graduate tuition assistance for yourself and your dependents, access to athletic facilities, free parking and discounted meal rates. Southwestern University is a selective, undergraduate institution committed to a broad-based liberal arts, sciences, and fine arts education. Southwestern University is deeply committed to fostering a diverse educational environment and especially encourages applications from members of groups traditionally under-represented in academia. For information concerning the University, visit our Web site at www.southwestern.edu.
To apply: The University will only accept application materials through Interfolio at apply.interfolio.com/135212. Interested persons must submit a letter of interest, resume, the name and contact information of three professional references. Email and paper applications will not be accepted. Only completed applications will be reviewed by the Search Committee. The Committee will review all completed applications until the position is filled. All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of the University’s Background Check Policy process. Southwestern University is an E-Verify employer. EOE/M/F
Inclusion is the deliberate effort to create an environment in which people from all backgrounds* are not only included but welcomed, valued, respected, considered, and supported within our community. People from marginalized (i.e., devalued) and/or minoritized (i.e, underrepresented) groups are heard, seen, respected and accepted in all aspects of our community. Southwestern University is committed to inclusive excellence that provides access and support, enables participation, and removes barriers so that all people within our community are empowered and can thrive in a campus that is welcoming and validating.
*including but not limited to people of color (race, ethnicity, nationality), sex, sexual identity, gender identity, age, physical and mental disabilities, socioeconomic status, religion, immigrants, and the intersection of these identities.
Jeanne Clery Statement: Notice of Availability of Annual Security and Fire Safety Report— Southwestern University Annual Safety and Fire Report is available online at https://www.southwestern.edu/life-at-southwestern/safety-security/annual-security-reports/ containing mandated information about current campus policies concerning safety and security issues, required statistics, and other related information for the past three calendar years. To obtain a paper copy of the report, please call 512-863-1435.