Coordinator, Military Veteran Student Services Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago. To view open positions, please enter your search criteria below. You may view all open positions by not specifying any search criteria and selecting the "Search" button. Bookmark this Posting | Print Preview | Apply for this Job
Job Title COORDINATOR - EXEMPT
Position Number 8100006
Job Category University Staff
Job Type Full-Time
FLSA Status Exempt
Campus Rogers Park-Lake Shore Campus
Department Name STUDENT FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
Location Code FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE (02023A)
Is this split and/or fully grant funded? Yes
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Director of Military & Veteran Student Services ( MVSS ), the Coordinator of Outreach and Benefits will be responsible for the overall management and the execution of the VA educational benefit certification process and student outreach services. The coordinator will serve as the primary School Certifying Official and will maintain Loyola University Chicago's ( LUC ) compliance with all VA and Department of Education regulations, as well ensure all institutional policies and procedures are met as it relates to VA benefit certification and awarding. This is a grant-funded position provided by the U.S. Department of Education's Centers of Excellence for Veteran Student Success. The grant is approved until October 1, 2026.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Coordinator of Outreach and Benefits will be a key member of the MVSS team and is responsible for the management and the execution of the VA benefits certification process and student outreach services. The coordinator will serve as the primary School Certifying Official and maintain LUC's compliance with VA regulations.
• Ensures compliance with federal, state, local and US Department of Veteran Affairs laws, regulations and practices as the Primary School Certifying Officials working in close collaboration with financial aid, advising, and records and registration to certify veteran education benefits by reporting enrollment and graduation information to the US Department of Veteran Affairs and other regulatory agencies.
• Maintains confidentiality as required by the Family Educational Right and Privacy Act ( FERPA ) and other applicable federal and state laws.
• Develop and deliver VA benefits training to ensure academic units understand the applicable VA regulations.
• Assist individuals in applying for Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense education benefits.
• Participate in strategic planning with regards to military-affiliated student life cycle.
• Assists the Director during audits and annual calendar updates to the VA.
• Lead annual catalog review and submission to VA.
• Provide excellent customer service to students, staff, and guests.
• Attend, and when appropriate, give presentations at local, regional, and national meetings, conferences, and symposia on topics related to higher education and student development, including those with a specific focus on military affiliated students.
• Maintain collaborative partnerships with on campus, community, prospective students, and other university representatives by information sharing, outreach, recruitment, enrollment, retention, and mentoring activities.
• Participate in MVSS activities and events to include but not limited to: Orientations, Welcome Week, Career Fairs, honors banquets, and Veterans Day ceremonies.
Minimum Education and/or Work Experience
• Bachelor's degree and 1-3 years of certifying experience preferred.
• Understanding of military culture and subcultures preferred.
• Detail-oriented with good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
• Ability to collect with discretion and protect sensitive personal information
• Ability to think critically with adaptability to change
• Ability to manage difficult conversations and provide feedback to explain reasons, policies, and/or a resolution.
• Demonstrated ability to perform responsibilities with initiative and minimal supervision.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
- Adept user of Internet, e-mail and other office automation systems.
- Experience with Enrollment Manager (formerly VA- ONCE ) system for certification preferred.
Supervisory Responsibilities No
Required operation of university owned vehicles No
Does this position require direct animal or patient contact? No
Physical Demands Repetitive Motions
Working Conditions Irregular Hours
Open Date 08/16/2023
Special Instructions to Applicants
Diversity and Inclusion Statement Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
As one of the nation's largest Jesuit, Catholic universities, Loyola University Chicago fosters a transformative cultural experience that honors diversity, equity, and inclusion (https://www.luc.edu/diversityandinclusion/) . We are committed to not only recruiting, but also retaining a diverse, mission driven workforce and enabling a culture of inclusiveness in an environment that values service excellence, stewardship, personal well-being, and professional development for all of our employees. Loyola University Chicago supports its staff and faculty with a wide array of affordable, comprehensive and competitive benefits (https://cld.bz/c/sy7N6a?utmmedium=email&utmsource=transactional&utm_campaign=CldBz-Share-Collection) centered on health and wellness, financial security, equity, and work-life balance. We actively seek those who wish to join our faculty, staff, and students in a community of diverse opinions, perspectives, and backgrounds supporting our Jesuit mission and striving toward the same goal of being persons for and with others.
Quick Link for Posting https://www.careers.luc.edu/postings/25969