Director - Student Services and Customer Relations
Student Financial Aid Services
Exec Dir Student Fin Aid Srvcs
The Director - Student Services and Customer Relations is a key member of a management team responsible for departmental operations regarding student and family services, recruitment and retention activities, and outreach, with special attention given to established enrollment goals. The Director will lead training
efforts for key customer service staff and advisors in the Student Financial Aid Services and collaborating offices to support efforts in recruiting and retaining students as they relate to the financial aid enterprise and will work with the Executive Director of Financial Aid in making suggestions for business process redesign and communications plans to support these efforts. The incumbent will provide leadership by developing long- range objectives and innovative plans as they relate to the pursuit of excellence and the highest standards of performance as outlined in NJIT's strategic plan.
- Supervise and manage all aspects of the Financial Aid Customer Care staff and activities. Develop, train, and provide leadership to the financial aid customer service and counseling staff.
- Together with the Executive Director work on identifying departmental needs, confidential personnel matters, management of the operational budget, and overall problem resolution.
- Formulate and establish policies relating to all facets of customer service and communications.
- Provide broad oversight and management of the call center and all digital financial aid customer service support tools, including the chatbot and website, and monitor and report on productivity and usage reports.
- Supervise and investigate complex issues relating to service. Develop and implement an escalation plan as the final authority for the resolution of such issues.
- Provide guidance and train counseling staff in the Office of University Admissions to promote exceptional service to students and families in support of strategic enrollment goals. Manage the coordination of all financial aid outreach activities including Admissions Open House events, Admitted Student events, new student orientation, resource fairs, college fairs, and presentations to on- and off- campus constituent groups. Approve presentation materials, deliver presentations, and provide follow-up counseling to students and families on all aspects of education financing and financial aid.
- Establish and maintain a financial literacy training program for students, with the ultimate goal of providing ongoing financial literacy support and education for the larger university community.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of best practices in financial aid management and a thorough understanding of related regulations.
- Demonstrated experience providing positive and proactive approaches in identifying problems, creating innovative solutions, managing projects, leading teams collaboratively, implementing efficiencies, and effectively using technology.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills and the ability to work with a diverse community;
- Monitor institutional awards for admitted students to support tuition discount limitations and enrollment goals.
- Represents the office throughout the campus as well as externally and serves as the subject-matter expert and resource to faculty, staff, and students throughout the university community.
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's preferred.
- A minimum of 7 years of professional experience working in a financial aid office at an institution of higher education.
- Knowledge of Title IV regulations.
- Exceptional customer service and interpersonal/counseling skills and proven leadership in engaging and managing staff.
- Strong oral and written communication, leadership, organization, and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations programs.
- Experience with systems related to financial aid administration, including COD, NSLDS, and FAA Access.
-At the university's discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be exempted where the candidate can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the university, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
- Experience in admission and recruiting (with an emphasis on educational financing) preferred.
- Experience with interpreting survey data.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish, preferred)
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Candidates should submit a cover letter.