Associate Director- International Student Services
Associate Director- International Student Services
Cedar Rapids, IA
To advance the college's mission, vision, principles, values and strategic initiatives through continuous improvement decisions.
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
Kirkwood's Global Learning department hosts hundreds of international students from diverse countries and seeks to recruit and retain even more in the future. The role of the Associate Director of International Student Services at Kirkwood is to provide a welcoming and supportive environment for international students, from their first inquiry to alumni. The Associate Director provides leadership to coordinate all international student services at Kirkwood including services for both F-1 and J-1 student populations. The Associate Director serves as the primary International Student Advisor on campus serving as the liaison and source of information for international students throughout their stay on matters of legal status related to their visa, personal and academic progress, and cultural adjustment and supervises other advisors in the department on best practices and professional competencies related to international education. Immigration regulations are complex and change frequently and students need help navigating the requirements for student or nonimmigrant visas as well as applicable tax information. This position ensures that programming and services are readily available to meet the unique needs of international students and that consistent communication is provided to students about their special requirements as international students.
UNIVERSAL CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Advocate for Continual Improvement- empowering each other to identify opportunities for excellence.
- Collaborate with Mutual Accountability- working together with a willingness to take ownership and account for our actions.
- Champion Service- anticipating needs and create a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive environment.
- Perseverance- commitment to excellence even in the face of adversity or delay in achieving success.
- Lead- regardless of title, through positive influence.
- Serve as Principal Designated School Official (PDSO) for Kirkwood's Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) designation. This includes maintaining professional knowledge regarding updates on all SEVIS rules and regulations impacting F-1 and J-1 student visa designations in order to provide the most up-to-date advice to Kirkwood's international students.
- Manage all data regarding international students in SEVIS including admission, registration, employment and demographic data including issuance.
- Develop and implement an international recruiting plan in conjunction with the International Admissions Advisor including correspondence with prospective students, agents and organizations related to recruiting international students.
- Supervise and lead a team of staff and student workers who conduct the International Student Services functions within Global Learning
- Manage the admission process for all of Kirkwood's international student applicants.
- Manage the foreign credential evaluation process
- Provide leadership to the Global Learning team when the Dean or Associate Dean are not available. Be able to serve as primary back-up for the department as needed.
- Develop and implement campus programming that meets the needs of both immigrant and non-immigrant students to create a climate of inclusivity, interaction and leadership including advising and leading the Global Student Leaders, Culture Conversations, Global Spotlight, Collaborative Dialogues and other programs as developed that inspire inclusive excellence.
- Seek out and apply for grants and funding opportunities to attract more students to Kirkwood particularly sponsored students, scholarship opportunities, etc.
- Manage budgets related to student workers, global learning activities, and international student orientation
- Serve as Campus Liaison with critical governmental offices including Department of Homeland Security, US Department of State, DMV, Social Security Office, etc.
- Provide personal, cultural, and academic advising to international students with attention to problem solving and resolving student issues.
- Lead and coordinate all elements of New Student Orientation program for arriving international students and lead retention efforts to ensure a successful international student retention rate.
- Provide specialized assistance to Kirkwood's international students who are sponsored on a variety of government grant programs ensuring that all grant requirements are fulfilled.
- Develop and initiate programming for global engagement for all Kirkwood students including development of programs, including International Education Week, for international students, grant-sponsored international students and international visitors to Kirkwood with the goal of engaging all Kirkwood students in intercultural activities.
- Recruit and manage prospective and current homestay and mentor families including background checks, mediation and problem resolution.
- Assist international students on matters of housing, transportation, insurance, health, banking, shopping, driver's license, SSN, postal information and other cultural matters.
- Provide cultural awareness training opportunities to Kirkwood faculty/staff/students on matters of intercultural communication.
- Be able and willing to represent Kirkwood in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, organizations and the community we serve.
- Assume responsibility; deal effectively with problems, and exercise independent judgment when making decisions.
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship with students, colleague staff, administrators and general public.
- Possess strong human relations skills. Ability to interact with diverse personalities, cultures and academic backgrounds.
- Be a creative, energetic and self-motivated individual with excellent organization skills. Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Welcome, value, and nurture people of all backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, as well as support and promote an environment that accepts differences.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential job duties/responsibilities and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES WITH/WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION:
Position involves working in an office setting. Occasional (10-33%) standing, pushing, pulling and grasping. Frequent (34-66%) reaching and viewing a computer and other types of close visual work. Constant (67-100%) sitting, walking, repetitive motion, talking and hearing.
- Master's degree
- 3 years of experience with federal regulations pertaining to Department of Homeland Security and SEVIS
- Leadership experience in the field of International Education
- 2 years of supervisory experience
PREFERREDQUALIFICATIONS, LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS:
- Experience studying or living abroad
- Language proficiency or familiarity in languages other than English
Kirkwood Community College shall not engage in nor allow unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment. This includes all employment practices, hiring practices, and unwelcome harassment of applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, genetic information or actual or potential parental, family, marital status or veteran status. If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with the policy please contact the Vice President of Human Resources at Kirkwood Community College, 313 Kirkwood Hall, 6301 Kirkwood Blvd., SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404, Telephone: 319-398-5572, Email: equity@Kirkwood.edu or the director of the Office for Civil Rights U.S. Department of Education, John C. Kluczynski Federal Building, 230 S. Dearborn Street, 37th Floor, Chicago, IL 60604-7204, Telephone: (312) 730-1560 Facsimile: (312) 730-1576, TDD (800) 877-8339 Email: OCR.Chicago@ed.gov .
Kirkwood offers a wide range of employee benefits. Read more about them here (http://www.kirkwood.edu/humanres/employees/benefits) !
Do you have a Masters degree or higher in any field with 3 years of experience with federal regulations pertaining to Department of Homeland Security and SEVIS?
Outline your philosophy regarding international education, global learning, and the significance of International Student Services in that work.
Kirkwood Community College
6301 Kirkwood Blvd SW
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 52404