The GED Advisor is responsible for ensuring the academic performance and progress of all adult education students at Summit. This position would perform an initial conference with each student and continue to monitor their attendance and progress until their GED completion. The GED Advisor is also in charge of the student's application materials.
- Arrange and meet with every enrolled GED or Summit Prep student before the start of their program to discuss placement, timeline, and barriers to finishing the program.
- Organize, maintain, and audit all student admission files, required forms and documentation within the student database, SiD.
- Work closely with the GED Program Manager, coordinators, and teachers to ensure the students' success
- Communicate with students via phone or email about any attendance or academic trends
- Connect students with community resources in order to address student barriers and access to classes
- Proctor official GED tests as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of state requirements around the GED / Adult Basic Education
- Ability to inspire and motivate adult learners to achieve their personal and career goals
- Thrive in a high-paced environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with students and staff
- Create and maintain organizational procedures
This job operates in a professional school and office environment. This constantly uses standard office equipment such as: computers (with keyboard and mouse), phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, to enter data into a computer; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal classroom levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in normal classrooms and on the telephone; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds to waist height; and to bend, stoop, walk and reach overhead.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). It is not eligible for overtime pay. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
This position requires limited travel. Less than 5% each year
Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in education, counseling, or related field from an accredited college/
University or equivalent professional experience
- Experience working with individuals from a wide range of ethnic, cultural, educational, and economic backgrounds
- Experience working in Adult Education is preferred
Please note that this is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
It is the policy of Summit Academy OIC to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Summit Academy OIC will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.