Director of International Programs
Northeastern Illinois University
ABOUT NORTHEASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1867, Northeastern Illinois University enrolls about 5,700 students through the College of Arts and Sciences, Daniel L. Goodwin College of Education, the College of Business and Technology and the College of Graduate Studies and Research. Northeastern is regarded as the most diverse public comprehensive university in the Midwest and is designated by the U.S. Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving Institution and Minority-Serving Institution. Northeastern offers more than 40 undergraduate degree and certificate programs and more than 50 graduate degree, certificate, licensure and endorsement programs. Northeastern’s Main campus is located on 67 acres in a residential area on the Northwest Side of Chicago with additional locations in the metropolitan area: The Jacob H. Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies and El Centro. Northeastern also is a founding member of the University Center of Lake County consortium campus in suburban Lake County, north of Chicago.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
Reporting directly to the Vice President for Enrollment Management, the Director serves as a strong leader who can motivate internal and external stakeholders to lead the University in a globally oriented environment. The Director will be responsible for the planning, marketing, delivery, and oversight of the University’s international programs as they exist today and planning for a more connected global future, with a strong emphasis on streamlining and digitizing operations and growing international enrollments. Below is a list of duties:
- Lead the University’s efforts in global and international strategic planning, visioning, and implementation.
- Provide leadership and implementation in development and execution of a comprehensive global engagement plan including recruitment of undergraduate and graduate students, study abroad, international partnerships, and visiting scholars.
- Collaborate with university offices related to international program matters, including Admissions, Student Records, Finance and Administration, Financial Aid, Student Affairs, and Academic Affairs, and the academic colleges, in the effective recruitment and retention of international students.
- Identify trends in and support for undergraduate and graduate international student recruiting, retention, and success.
- Oversight of staff and personnel matters, including recruitment, evaluation, supervision, and on-going professional development to ensure project prioritization and cross-training to enhance office efficiency and effectiveness.
- Maintain on-going communications with current international partners related to exchange issues, program maintenance, and program expansion/contraction where appropriate.
- Work with the University’s senior leadership to cultivate new partnerships to increase international enrollments.
- Lead efforts to increase student participation in study abroad as well as significantly increasing the number of international students attending NEIU.
- Ensure compliance with federal regulations through Department of Homeland Security, including supervision of VISA processing and recordkeeping.
- Manage budget and planning, oversight and procurement related to all international program budgets.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree with seven to ten years of relevant experience and progressive leadership experience directly focused on growing international student enrollments.
- Track record of experience streamlining International Program operations through the use of technology, managing staff, and capitalizing on cost-effective recruitment tools.
- Experience working with federal agencies on students and faculty visas preferred.
- Demonstrated Knowledge of international issues and trends in higher education including best practices in international education and with federal regulations supporting international student and scholar success.
- Knowledge or experience in student recruitment, effective marketing strategies, faculty engagement, research and learning abroad.
- Comprehensive knowledge of international education, administrative principles, and practices relevant to program design and development of international programs and services, budget management, and staff supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively on program and policy development with faculty, staff and administrators.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain domestic and International education partnerships.
- Ability to travel domestically and abroad when necessary, and to capitalize on virtual marketing and recruitment efforts wherever possible.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong communication and diplomatic skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills to promote collaboration and teamwork.
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and diplomacy in intercultural and international college/university settings.
- Evidence of a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience as a responsible officer (RO) for a college/university campus through Homeland Security (able to issue F-l and J-1 certifications) and experience working with SEVIS (Student Exchange and Visitor Information System).
- Proven success in obtaining funds through federal funding programs which support internationalization of academic programs and global research and development.
- Fundraising and stewardship experience of international partnerships and programs.
- Ability to motivate staff, foster collaboration and actively engage diverse groups of constituents.
(This position requires a background check.)
Salary & Benefits: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision benefits, sick and vacation days, and participation in the State Universities Retirement System.
Copies of unofficial transcripts are accepted; however, official transcripts for all earned degrees will be required of candidates selected for final interviews.
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU), please apply at:
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as other qualified individuals. Northeastern Illinois University's positions are contingent upon the University's receipt of its State of Illinois appropriation.