Reporting to the Dean of Divinity, the Student Services Coordinator acts as an admissions recruiter, student advisor and teaching faculty for the Divinity School. Position requires frequent contact with students on the main campus as well as Adult Degree Program Sites. Outside personal and telephone contacts are frequently required with prospective students and others to ensure that quality services are provided to students and prospective students, advising, and teaching.
Essential Job Functions:
- Attends events for the Divinity School to actively recruit students (events include Hampton Minister's Conference, General Baptist State Convention of NC, Women's Baptist Home and Foreign Missionary Convention of NC, Healthy Churches Conference, Shaw University Graduate School Day, Graduate School Fairs at local colleges and universities, others as necessary and as travel/registration funds permit).
- Serves as first contact by phone and email for those inquiring about admissions.
- Maintains list of contacts for admissions with follow-up information.
- Provides resources such as applications, degree program brochures, and financial aid information to prospective students.
- Manages the interview process for the Admissions Committee.
- Collects and maintains transcripts, reference forms, and other material for applicants.
- Creates regular reports to Dean and Admissions Committee on prospects, applicants, and admitted students.
Jenzabar Admissions and Registration:
. Manages the online applications process through Jenzabar.
- Updates status of applicants admitted in Jenzabar upon action by Admissions Committee.
- Serves as primary contact with Jenzabar administrator and Registrar's Office to secure ID numbers and PINs for admitted students.
- Determines and assigns students to appropriate academic advisor in Jenzabar.
- Changes student degree program assignment in Jenzabar upon request from Dean or his designee.
- Runs regular reports on registration for Dean or his designee.
- Trouble shoots registration issues with Jenzabar administrator, Registrar's Office.
- Upon request from Dean, overrides prerequisites in Jenzabar.
Teaching Faculty and Advisor:
- Responsible for providing educational guidance and assistance for students by planning schedules, recommending courses and determining appropriate education solutions for different types of students
- Effectively advises students in applicable academic subject area(s).
- Teaches Divinity School courses in accordance with the course syllabus.
- Informs students of the course objectives and requirements, explains the grading system and attendance policy, discusses academic integrity, and provides a bibliography of suggested readings.
- As applicable to the graduate program, ensures that coursework:
- Requires students to analyze, explore, question, reconsider, and synthesize old and new knowledge and skills.
- Relates to currently accepted practices within the discipline.
- Requires students to engage in research and to confront the diversity of views in the field of study.
- Will hold regular office hours
Divinity School liaison with American Baptist Churches (ABC), Association of Theological Schools (ATC), and other entities as appropriate for issues related to student affairs.
- Attends training sessions at ABC related to denominational students services and financial aid matters.
- Maintains data base of ABC students.
- Receives, tracks, and reports on financial aid gifts from ABC.
- Attends ATS sponsored events for student affairs training.
- Maintains contact with ATS for Entering Student Questionnaire and Graduating Student Questionnaire.
- Prepares regular reports for Dean regarding graduation rates and statement of educational effectiveness as required by ATS.
- Assists with preparation, validation of ATS Annual Report forms as needed.
- All other related duties as assigned.
Serves as coordinator for student services.
- Serves as primary contact and as advocate for students as they interface with University offices.
- Alerts Dean about student issues as they arise.
- Serves on Divinity School Admissions and Financial Aid Committees.
- Serves as resource for Student Support Services Committee.
- Works with Dean to schedule new student orientation.
- Maintains and updates Orientation handbook.
- Maintains records and files related to admissions, registration, graduation, and placement.
- All other related duties as assigned.