Position Title: Writing Specialist for International Students
Department: Center for Writing & Rhetoric
Date Prepared: June 2023
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, Hourly
Standard of Christian Commitment
The candidate must be a professing Christ follower who possesses a strong commitment to the mission and core values of Southwestern Seminary and Texas Baptist College, possess a clear understanding of Southern Baptist heritage and culture, and agrees to serve in accordance with and not contrary to the current edition of the Baptist Faith and Message.
Southwestern Seminary, an entity of the Southern Baptist Convention, is a confessional institution. While the Seminary serves the larger evangelical Christian community, employees must embrace the values and standards the Seminary represents as it fulfills its mission of shaping Christian leaders within our denominational context.
Since duties of this position require the employee to represent the Seminary to prospective and current students, candidates must abide by the Seminary bylaws, the Employee Handbook, and the current edition of the Baptist Faith and Message as a condition of employment.
This position assists the director of the Center for Writing & Rhetoric by the Southwestern student body in their writing and editing processes. Writing Coaches will meet with students about their papers and host writing workshops for the seminary community, as needed. Additionally writing coaches will help develop writing resources for the Canvas CW&R and handle other jobs assigned by the director of the Center for Writing & Rhetoric. This position specifically meets with international students as second-language learners on their writing and study skills.
Essential Job Functions / Responsibilities
- Assessing student writing goals and needs
- Providing one-on-one writing instruction to students
- Working on CW&R projects as assigned
- Hosting writing workshops as requested by the Director
- Helping students hone effective thesis statements
- Encouraging students to develop organizational strategies
- Encouraging students to self-correct grammatical problems
- Answering citation questions
- Performing other related duties as assigned and specific to area of responsibility
- Coordinating with Dean of Students for students directed to the CW&R for help.
Skills / Requirements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exhibit exemplary social skills and ensure considerate interactions with all students, faculty members, and other SWBTS personnel
- Must enjoy interacting with a diverse group of people from all backgrounds and age groups.
- Exhibit a humble, patient, creative, and collaborative spirit to promote a healthy and vibrant work culture for the CW&R team
- Possess a strong work ethic and initiative
- Strive for personal and professional growth in leadership and general ministry effectiveness.
Qualifications / Education:
- Accredited masters degree in TESOL, English, or related degree.
- Demonstrates excellent writing and editing skills.
- Teaching experience or tutoring experience with second-language learners preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Word
- Proficiency using Turabian formatting and citation
- Successful completion of background check, MVR, and credit check may be required.
- This position reports to the Director of the Center for Writing & Rhetoric and the Writing Specialist for International Students.
- Additionally this position works collaboratively with the Dean of Students and International Student Services office to proactively serve international students
- Daily decisions about the best ways to provide writing coaching.
Exposure to Confidential Information
- Patrons may need to divulge confidential information to the incumbent in their request for information or for assistance with writing. The unauthorized release of such information would violate their right to privacy.
- Physically able to sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Able to use computer and move about office to interact with other people.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Able to attend on-site or online sessions
- Able to bend and/or stoop
- Able to climb and lift 10 pounds to perform tasks that may be assigned in the course of operations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- Frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms.