International House & Programs
Requested Start Date:
December 1, 2023
$23.02 per hour (19 hours a week)
Normal Work Schedule:
The Temporary International Student Advisor ensures international students and the university are in compliance with federal rules and regulations for F-1 and J-1 visa holders. Serves as Designated School Official (DSO) and Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for the University and advises on visa, immigration and SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) processes. Works closely with students to provide guidance on visa policies and procedures related to academic standing and university policies. Reports directly to the International House and Programs Director. US citizenship or Permanent Residency is required per Department of Homeland Security regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as Designated School Official (DSO) and Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for JSU's F-1 and J-1 programs and as such, advises on a range of issues including immigration, academic matters and life in the US with a primary focus on F-1 student advising.
- Advises the International House and Programs Office (IHPO) Director on issues related to SEVIS and visa compliance within ISSSO.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education in International Relations, Foreign Languages & Literatures, or related field.
- One (1) year of previous experience in higher education, international education or related fields.
- Must be a US citizen or legal permanent resident per Federal government requirements for SEVIS access.
- Knowledge of F and J visa regulations
- Knowledge of SEVIS, Terra Dotta and related software
- Ability to speak another language,
- Experience studying or living abroad.
- Experience working in an international student and scholars' office.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript (official required upon hire)
JSU strives to provide great quality of life to our employees through an attractive, competitive benefits package for our full-time faculty and staff. These benefits enhance your salary as a JSU employee and are part of your total compensation package. Benefits include:
- Retirement Plans
- Alabama Teacher's Retirement System (TRS)
- RSA-1 Deferred Compensation
- 403-B Retirement Annuity (TIAA)
- Health Insurance
- Medical (PEEHIP)
- Optional plans: vision, dental, flexible spending plan, dependent care, cancer and hospital indemnity
- Long-term disability and life insurance
- Tuition assistance
- Paid and unpaid leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Prescription assistance
For additional information regarding benefits, please visit our website.
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://clerycenter.org/policy-resources/the-clery-act/ the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.