- Experience with SEVP policies, SEVIS database, and serving as a DSO or PDSO.
- Previous experience working with multicultural and/or international students.
- Knowledge of immigration-related laws, Department of Homeland Security, and Department of State regulations.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident with a valid U.S. passport
- Availability to attend admissions and recruitment events which will include evenings, weekends, and possibly travel.
- Excellent intercultural communication and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in language(s) other than English.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member across departments.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, make independent decisions; responsible for decisions.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and college software.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Office of Enrollment Management (EM) includes several student-facing areas including Financial Aid, Student Accounts, Admissions, and International Student Services. EM recruits both prospective and current students to meet enrollment goals and objectives across the College. EM is committed to cultivating and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for our students.
The Assistant Director of ISS reports to the Associate Vice President of Enrollment Management and provides training and counseling to international students regarding immigration-related regulations and academic requirements which includes F-1 visa requirements, annual reporting, and federal compliance. This position is the PDSO (primary designated school official) for the college's F-1 SEVIS program. The Assistant Director also works closely with other departments within the college to ensure the international student population is supported and in compliance with all regulations.
The Assistant Director position requires an understanding of and training on Federal, State, and College policies regulating academic records, billing, financial wellness, re-enrollment, and student success. The Assistant Director will engage in sensitive conversations related to visa compliance, academic success, graduation, and options available to international students (CPT and OPT). Additionally, the AD is responsible for creating and executing a communication and outreach plan to support the yield and retention strategy.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
F-1 Visa and SEVIS Processing
- Serves as the primary resource for information about the Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and U.S. visa requirements.
- Serves as Principal Designated School Official (PDSO) for the college's F-1 program in SEVIS including processing I-20 forms, advising students on visa issues, and annual reporting.
- Maintains student records & reporting in SEVIS as well as best practices, program session dates, registration & mass registration, extensions, and shortening programs for F-1 students.
- Manages federal reporting deadlines set by SEVIS.
- Keeps up-to-date on all governmental policies and continually reviews college policies and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Responsible for collecting and processing documents and maintaining files on all F-1 visa international students.
- Responsible for responding to the emergency hotline for entry issues.
- Improves and maintains data in the College's system so that the department is informed of student data that affects their visa status and ensures maximum functionality between the Colleague system and required government reporting systems.
- Assists in maintenance and development of web resources related to international students.
- Maintains data related to international students and assists in the creation and dissemination of quantitative and qualitative reports.
- Counsel students about employment options, timelines, and regulatory requirements related to Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Occupational Practical Training (OPT).
- Provide pre-arrival information and support to incoming international students.
- Provides on-campus employment letters, enrollment verification, and degree certifications for International Students.
- Responsible for I-17 recertification which includes working with Academic Affairs on degree and program updates.
- Provide workshops for new students during orientation regarding maintaining valid F1 status.
- Provide workshops to current students who are eligible for CPT/OPT.
- Responsible to maintain and recertify college-approved SEVIS users annually.
- Reviews and evaluates I-20 applications for international admission. Reads and reviews documents to determine if a student can be accepted based on the academic and financial standards of the college.
- Creates a robust communication plan to yield prospective international students for application completion and document submission.
- Proactive communication with all international prospects on matters of SEVIS requirements, international admission, scholarships, residence, and student life, academics, and transition to college.
- Update and deliver scheduled communications within the Communications Management Plan for the college.
- Meet with prospective students in relation to I-20 application processing, college life, and transitioning to college in the U.S.
- Provide weekly reporting through the enrollment period for prospective and admitted students through the Admissions cycle.
- Available to work some weekends and evenings as necessary to accomplish the college's mission, goals, and objectives especially as it supports enrollment.
- Participates in committees, task force teams, and planning groups as needed.
- Performs additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Actively works with Offices in the Registrar, Student Success Advising, Student Life, and Career and Professional Development to offer guidance for F1 students and students of concern. This includes F1 student progress towards graduation every semester.
- Reviews international F-1 visa students (IS) freshmen files received for completeness in accordance with standards set by AACRAO/ICE/SEVIS (i.e. high school diploma, acceptance letter, scholarship letter, etc.).
Marymount Manhattan College is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. To apply, please click here.