POSITION TITLE Director of Member Relations for Europe (except Spain) and the United Kingdom
DEPARTMENT Member Relations
REPORTS TO Vice President for Member Relations
FLSA STATUS Exempt
LOCATION Remote (The details of this employment agreement will be handled by our in-country agent for applicants who reside outside of the US.)
DATE November 2023
ISEP is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping students overcome the financial and academic barriers to international experiences: studying, interning, and volunteering. Through ISEP, students build lifelong connections and gain a true understanding of what it is like to live in another culture, thereby developing inter-cultural competencies and a global outlook.
Since our founding in 1979, we have become the largest global membership network for student mobility in the world, with over 350 member universities in more than 50 countries.
The Director of Member Relations for Europe and the United Kingdom is responsible for the creation and implementation of ISEP’s strategic plan for their designated regional portfolio, including the recruitment of new ISEP Exchange members and Affiliates, management of ISEP Direct (fee-paying) programs, and business development growth in collaboration with the Program Development team. This role focuses on increasing student enrollments and overall revenue for the organization through relationship building and delivery of quality programs.
The incumbent will deepen relations with members in designated markets and drive growth in student participation in ISEP programs via ongoing strategic engagement, market segmentation, effective student recruitment initiatives, and exceptional customer service delivery.
The Director is responsible for building and maintaining member relations and ensuring adherence to ISEP membership standards to improve services and meet program demands of the study abroad market, creating greater access and diversity throughout the network. As the institutional liaison, the Director is responsible for ensuring the highest levels of program quality, delivery and customer satisfaction while also designing and overseeing initiatives around student enrollment, program participation, and revenue targets for designated regional markets.
This role is expected to utilize a variety of engagement strategies with ISEP members in the region while also interacting on a regular basis cross-departmentally with the ISEP global office staff that works on United States EST hours.
External: ISEP Coordinators, Senior International Officers, and other institutional contacts at ISEP member institutions in Europe and the United Kingdom.
Internal: Vice President for Member Relations, Other Directors of Member Relations, University Relations Managers, Director of Alumni Engagement & Student Success, Director of Enrollment Management, Director of Program Development, Director of Marketing & Communications, Marketing Communications Manager, and Student Services staff.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Program Portfolio Management and Institutional Relations (45%)
- Prepare annual strategic plan and outreach for assigned portfolio of countries in Europe and the United Kingdom.
- Identify and recruit new Exchange members and Affiliates; ensure appropriate program mix through achievement of member recruitment and retention goals.
- Review and evaluate prospective member applications, ensuring membership protocol is followed and making recommendations regarding admission; coordinate integration of new members into the ISEP Community.
- Review ISEP membership agreements and recommend changes as necessary; monitor compliance of GDPR and general data protection.
- Cultivate excellent strategic working relationships with key stakeholders – ISEP Coordinators, Senior International Officers, faculty, career services, and other administrative staff – at member institutions to maximize student participation in ISEP programs.
- Lead the annual regional member engagement strategy and manage the regional travel budget, allocating resources to institutions and activities with the highest ROI; conduct site visits and hold virtual meetings according to strategic goals.
- Develop a student recruitment plan for ISEP Exchange and ISEP Direct and assist in establishing enrollment targets for each program to help meet the annual financial goals of the organization in collaboration with the Enrollment Management, Program Development, and Marketing & Communications teams.
- Review and evaluate ISEP Direct cost agreements; collaborate in cost negotiations with host institutions and communicate program suspensions as necessary.
- Manage nomination of international student numbers on ISEP Exchange into the United States and other world regions that contribute to the ISEP global exchange balance.
- Coordinate outreach to members, ensuring consistency in the ISEP brand; collaborate with ISEP’s Marketing & Communications department on promotional activities and materials.
Quality and Delivery of Programs (30%)
- Collaborate in the development and review of member satisfaction surveys; implement action plans to address institutional weaknesses and improve member services as determined through surveys.
- Monitor institutions’ adherence to ISEP’s membership standards; address program concerns and identify solutions in collaboration with host institutions.
- Oversee the training and mentoring of new ISEP Coordinators throughout the year.
- Enhance program quality and delivery through academically focused initiatives: curriculum integration, faculty engagement, and special projects.
- In collaboration with the Director of Program Development, develop strategy for improving quality and delivery of ISEP Direct program offerings in designated regions.
- In collaboration with Health & Safety Task Force, implement health and safety protocols for designated regions in coordination with member universities; oversee crises communication and response; conduct risk assessments.
New Program/Business Development (25%)
- In collaboration with the Program Development team, research and explore new business development opportunities in the region.
- Assist in the planning and execution of new business development activities. Identify growth opportunities and trends, while collaborating with the Program Development team to identify new program offerings that meet student interests and demands.
OTHER RECURRING DUTIES
- Conduct site visits to prospective, new, and current member institutions; organize regional site and study tours.
- Lead and supervise regional teams for Europe and the United Kingdom, including University Relations Managers.
- Collaborate with University Relations Managers on country-specific issues and provide regional training.
- Provide regional member information and key data for reports and presentations to ISEP leadership and governance (Board of Directors and Council of Advisors).
- Participate in international education conferences and events as assigned.
- Participate in Council of Advisors meetings and working groups.
- Participate in emergency phone rotation.
- Support the VP for Member Relations in setting departmental strategy in alignment with ISEP’s business objectives; lead special projects and address departmental & organizational priorities.
- M.A. in International Education, International Relations, Area Studies, or other relevant subject areas.
- 6-7 years of work experience in international education, study abroad, international programs development and management, or related area.
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in French, German or another European-based language.
- Specialized knowledge and experience, plus a successful track record of working with higher education institutions in this position’s regional portfolio.
- Proven track record of driving outbound students from the designated regions and managing programs for inbound students into the designated regions.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, including overnight travel and other more extensive trips to universities within region and conferences as required.
- Exceptional communication abilities, including writing, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Experience with articulating and executing a student recruitment strategy with proven ability to meet targets.
- Project management experience and strong organizational skills.
- Keen data analyst with a demonstrated record of metrics-based decision-making around business development growth.
- Financial acumen, including budget development & management; cost negotiation skills; and experience making recommendations for program offerings & pricing to meet revenue targets.
- Travel, study and/or work experience abroad.