Senior Advisor, Center for International Students and Scholars
Job Description Summary
The Senior International Student & Scholar Advisor serves as a core member of Bentley's Center for International Student & Scholar advising team, providing advanced F-1 & J-1 regulatory knowledge. In addition to providing critical support to an assigned advising cohort on a full range of regulatory and personal matters (maintenance of status, travel, visa processing, academics, adjustment, etc.), the Senior Advisor also aids in international scholar intake, revision of policies and communications, and database management while providing support to advisors on nuanced cases.
- Serves as Designated School Official (DSO) and Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for a population of 1200+ international students, scholars, and their dependents in the F and J non-immigrant visa classifications.
- Advises student case load via email, in-person meetings, and open advising regarding visa-related matters in compliance with the Student & Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).
- Issues Forms I-20 and DS-2019, including assisting Admissions in issuance of transfer-in and change of academic level I-20s and liaising with Study Abroad Office for issuance of exchange student DS-2019s.
- Facilitates programming related to work authorization (CPT, OPT, STEM OPT, Academic Training), maintenance of status, and adjustment to life in the U.S
- Provides oversight of updates to office presentations, forms, and CISS website.
- Collaborates with CISS leadership to provide recommendations for procedural improvement.
- Provides critical support and guidance to advisors, including assisting in troubleshooting of complicated cases.
- Assists with drafting mass communications to students, including general reminders about maintaining status, updates to office procedures and changes to immigration policy.
- Collaborates with CISS leadership to provide recommendations for procedural improvement and needs for expansion or revision to current policies.
- Regularly presents case studies and advising updates to CISS team.
- Aids in data management and maintenance of office databases and systems.
- Assists with international scholar intake through document processing, liaising with academic departments, creation of DS-2019s, and facilitating J-1 visa orientations.
- Supervises and coordinates training for 1-2 part-time interns.
- Support divisional programming and student support initiatives, including serving as a BentleyPlus Advisor by attending trainings, facilitating advising sessions and sending follow-up communications to advisees.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in International Education, Higher Education, Student Affairs or related fields; Master's degree preferred
- 2-4 years of work experience as a DSO or ARO in international student and scholar advising or related field.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of F-1 & J-1 non-immigrant visa advising and associated government regulations and policy.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including ability establish and maintain collaborative relationships with faculty, administration, and students.
- Strong communication skills, including ability to effectively relay complex regulatory information to a diverse student population.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage ongoing and multiple responsibilities independently.
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residency (required to sign immigration documents and DSO authorization, a standard job responsibility of this position).
- Strong IT skills. Experience using batching software (ISSM preferred) or related international student database management and project management tools strongly recommended.
- Experience in multicultural settings and second language fluency is desirable.
- Fast-paced office environment with extensive sitting and computer work.
- Ability to maintain a hybrid schedule, including in-person and remote work.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours to support office and greater university programming.
Bentley University requires references checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.
Bentley University strives to create a campus community that welcomes the exchange of ideas, and fosters a culture that values differences and views them as a strength in our community.
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity. The University is committed to building a community of talented students, faculty and staff who reflect the diversity of global business. We strongly encourage applications from persons from underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities, covered veterans and those with diverse experiences and backgrounds.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/jXxdVgfV7mBnnTGJZixMEb