International Edu Advisor,Sr
International Edu Advisor,Sr
The University of New Mexico's Global Education Office(GEO) is seeking a highly motivated candidate interested in global highereducation, immigration compliance, and international student support andadvisement. The successful candidate will join the International Student andScholar Services (ISSS) team, which currently supports UNM's internationalpopulation from approximately 100 countries around the world. Thisposition provides direct advisement to students and scholars participating inan international education program through GEO. ISSS advisors connect programparticipants to resources and services across the University, stay current oncomplex and evolving international regulations and coordinate the issuance ofofficial, regulatory compliance documents.
This position also provides input on program development,participates in social and cultural programming initiatives, deliverspresentations and workshops to students, staff and faculty, and trainslower-level specialists, as applicable. In addition, the advisors provideonboarding support, coordinate integration programming and events, conductprofessional presentations and workshops, and promote international andintercultural awareness on campus.
This position will serve as a Designated School Official, and the selected applicant must be a citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the United States. Please see this link for more information: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/schools/get-started/designated-school-official. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide a wide range of advisement, liaison, and associated administrative and educational services relating to international students, visiting scholars (Post-docs, Researchers and Professors) and their UNM departments
- Learn and maintain knowledge of immigration regulations impacting international students and scholars
- Learn and maintain knowledge of database systems (SEVIS, ISSM, Onbase and Banner) used to create and maintain records for international students and scholars
- Ensure individual and university compliance with all federal immigration regulations and are required to report student and school information in the Department of Homeland Security's SEVIS system
- Collaborate with other advisors and support staff to ensure accurate and efficient processing of SEVIS data and student immigration benefits.
- Help students in understanding UNM academic policies and administrative procedures, cultural adjustment, and resources and services available at UNM
- Maintain immigration records through batch processing via the International Student and Scholar Management (ISSM) database and entry in SEVIS RTI when necessary
- Stay abreast of UNM policies and procedures that impact international students and scholars (including health insurance and non-resident tax requirements/policies)
- Coordinate and present informational programs to international student and scholar populations
- Coordinate and attend social and cultural programs and events for international students and scholars
- Maintain active membership in appropriate professional organizations and participate in professional development opportunities
- Adhere to NAFSA's Statement of Ethical Principles.
- Supervisesand train student support staff, including student employees
See the Position Description for additional information.
Conditions of Employment
- All regular, non-temporary positions assigned to this classification are represented by a labor union and subject to the terms and conditions of the US-UNM Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Employees who provide services or work in patient care or clinical areas are required to be in compliance with the University's influenza vaccination requirement.
Bachelor's degree; at least 2 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
- Master's degree in a related field
- 4 or more years of directly related experience in: international student and scholar advising, higher education and/or international education setting, and developing and delivering educational trainings and presentations
- Knowledge of federal regulations governing non-immigrant students and visitors
- Direct experience with the Department of Homeland Security's SEVIS system and international education software.
- Demonstrated proficiency using software applications including databases, word processing, online calendars, web content management systems and internet applications
- Significant comfort-level with technology and data management.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with ability to independently set priorities, coordinate and complete a number of competing assignments within established deadlines.
- Excellent analytical skills, with the ability to investigate, assemble, analyze, interpret, and apply information from a wide variety of sources
- Excellent written communication skills and demonstrated ability to write clear and concise instructional materials
- Proficiency in English and at least one additional language
This position will serve as a Designated School Official, and the selected applicant must be a citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the United States. Please see this link for more information: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/schools/get-started/designated-school-official.
Main - Albuquerque, NM
Global Education Office (064A)
Regular - Full-Time
Term End Date
Hourly: $20.71 - $27.88
This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.
As a condition of employment, eligible employees working greater than .25 FTE as determined by the New Mexico Education Retirement Act must make mandatory retirement contributions. For more information, review the Benefits Eligibility at a Glance grid.
Background Check Required
For Best Consideration Date
Eligible for Remote Work
Eligible for Remote Work Statement
Hybrid work schedule available with 2 days remote and 3 days in the office after initial onboarding and training has been completed.
Only applications submitted throughthe official UNMJobs site will be accepted.If you are viewing this jobadvertisement on a 3rd party site, pleasevisit UNMJobs to submit an application.
Please include a resume and cover letter. Your cover letter should specifically address your prior experience with data management and compliance with governmental regulations. Additionally, you should address your willingness and ability to work non-standard hours and weekends as required by operation needs. Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
The University of New Mexico requires all regular staff positions successfully pass a pre-employment background check. This may include, but is not limited to, a criminal history background check, New Mexico Department of Health fingerprint screening, New Mexico Children, Youth, and Families Department fingerprint screening, verification of education credentials, and/or verification of prior employment. For more information about background checks, visit https://policy.unm.edu/university-policies/3000/3280.html. Refer to https://policy.unm.edu/university-policies/3000/3200.html for a definition of Regular Staff.