Assistant Dean for Student Affairs for VCUarts Qatar
Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts in Qatar (VCUarts Qatar)
Division of Student Affairs
This full-time, 12-month position begins Spring, 2024
Application Deadline: January 2, 2024 The Opportunity:
VCUarts Qatar (http://www.qatar.vcu.edu/) seeks an Assistant Dean for Student Affairs who will be responsible for the development, assessment and management of all matters related to VCUarts Qatar student affairs, ensuring that the student support services, student activities, student organizations, and student programs meet the needs of VCUarts Qatar students and are reflective of the School's vision and values. The successful candidate is an energetic and enthusiastic individual who will provide strategic leadership for Student Life & Engagement, Personal Development and Counseling Services, Recruitment and Admissions, international education, student development and programming, and student conduct, and works in partnership and coordination with relevant University offices on our Richmond campus.
Candidates should have an outstanding record of experience in Student Affairs Management and possess the qualifications necessary to be successful in the role of Assistant Dean for Student Affairs. The successful candidate reports directly to the Dean of the School and is a member of the Dean's Advisory Group. As such, the successful candidate will be responsible to contribute to the formulation and implementation of VCUarts Qatar's overall strategy and strategic enrollment plan, and to lead the development of the Student Affairs policies, procedures, and guidelines. Responsibilities also include the effective management of the Student Affairs functions, oversight of matters of academic integrity and student conduct, oversight of the development of student affairs programs that complement and enrich the academic vision of the School, and serve as a senior liaison with Qatar Foundation and partner universities in Education City.
The Assistant Dean for Student Affairs serves as part of the senior administration and must develop and maintain strong relationships with faculty across the School to support activities which enrich student engagement and oversee the development of co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. The successful candidate will also oversee the implementation of student-oriented Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), and collaborate on student counseling guidelines and the development of a student success plan.
Candidates will provide professional development support and perform annual performance reviews for direct reports and contribute to the development of workforce plans for the Student Affairs Division. The candidate must have excellent organizational, leadership, decision-making, delegation and communications skills as well as the ability to act as a mentor to team members. VCUarts Qatar:
VCUarts Qatar is the international branch campus of Virginia Commonwealth University's School of the Arts (VCUarts). Located in Richmond, Virginia, VCUarts (www.arts.vcu.edu) is the top-ranked public art school in the U.S. VCUarts Qatar was established in 1998 through a partnership with the Qatar Foundation and offers students the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in fashion design, graphic design, interior design, painting & printmaking and newly in kinetic imaging; a Bachelor of Arts degree in art history; and a Master of Fine Arts degree in design. Located in Doha, the capital city of Qatar, VCUarts Qatar is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art & Design (NASAD), the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), and the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA). The current student body represents a diverse range of nationalities with students coming from 35 countries.
VCUarts Qatar is dedicated to global outreach and education and provides students with an environment for cross-cultural exchange that fosters inquiry, discovery and innovation. Examples of this mission are the two significant international conferences hosted by VCUarts Qatar-the biennial design conference, Tasmeem and the biennial Hamad bin Khalifa Symposium on Islamic Art. VCUarts Qatar attracts globally recognized designers, artists and scholars while fostering partnerships within the region, and beyond, that enhance the educational, economic and cultural vitality of Qatar. Having established itself as a center of excellence for education and research, VCUarts Qatar has substantial involvement with the influential art and design world of the Middle East, and is a catalyst for the growth and development of these fields in the region.
VCUarts Qatar has 154 full-time faculty and staff and a student body of 324. VCUarts Qatar was the first campus established in Education City, a unique 2500-acre multiversity campus which has expanded to include Georgetown University, Carnegie-Mellon University, Texas A&M University, Weill Cornell Medical College, Northwestern University, and HEC Paris.
Qatar, with English as the standard second language, is a progressive country in the Arabian Gulf and remains one of the healthiest economies in the Gulf region. Doha offers all the conveniences found in a contemporary and cosmopolitan city, while honoring a rich tradition that is evident in the old markets and the city's Islamic Arab architecture. The National Museum of Qatar, designed by Jean Nouvel, opened in March 2019 while the Museum of Islamic Art, designed by I.M.Pei opened in November 2008 and the Arab Museum of Modern Art (Mathaf) opened in 2010. The U.S. Embassy considers Qatar among the safest countries in the world for Americans. VCUarts:
VCUarts (https://arts.vcu.edu/) offers a variety of graduate and undergraduate degrees in art history, art education, design, fine and performing arts, with a unique emphasis on creative immersion. Far more than receiving simply an education or preparation for a career; students leave VCUarts with the practical, professional and personal skills needed to make a life in the arts, no matter how they define it. That's why VCUarts' programs emphasize both doing and knowing: why the majority of its faculty are working artists and scholars; and why they encourage students to take advantage of the many academic and intellectual opportunities that come with being part of a research university. Today, VCUarts graduates can be found throughout the academic and professional fields and have been recognized with everything from Emmys to MacArthur Fellowships.
VCUarts is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, the National Association of Schools of Dance, the National Association of Schools of Music, the National Association of Schools of Theatre, the Virginia Department of Education, the Council for Interior Design Accreditation and the National Council for Accreditation for Teacher Education.
VCUarts is ranked as the #1 public university arts and design graduate school in the country by US News and World Report. The school is comprised of sixteen programs, has more than 175 full-time faculty, includes more than 3,000 students, and has become known as a pillar of artistic creation, expression, and scholarly research. Its emerging artists and scholars explore their potential and strive for high standards set by faculty members acknowledged for their inspiration and achievement. Major Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the development, assessment, and management of student affairs programs and activities that foster positive student development and learning for students of VCUarts Qatar;
- Provide supervision and guidance for the offices of Student Life & Engagement, Personal Development and Counselling Services, Recruitment and Admissions, international education including the student exchange program, and student development and programming;
- Work with faculty to keep them abreast of changes in U.S., Virginia, and VCU rules and regulations that relate to students, including Title IX, FERPA, etc.;
- Oversee education regarding implementation of student policies such as Student Code of Conduct and Sexual Misconduct and Gender Discrimination
- Advocate for students' financial wellbeing by cooperating with the Office of Enrollment and Registration, Qatar Foundation Student Financial services and other funding bodies.
- Liaise with senior administrators, academic program leaders and others as appropriate, concerning recruitment, admissions, student development and programming, and other matters as necessary;
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs at VCUarts on the Richmond campus;
- Oversee communication with all stakeholders including students, faculty, and family regarding student policies, procedures, expectations, and opportunities.
- Oversee the delivery of all messaging through website, social media, newsletters and email.
- Maintain a current detailed record of activity (metrics) to provide a context for demonstrating which activities are most productive and to track the performance of the department of Student Affairs;
- Serve as ambassador with alumni, parents, students, neighbors, community leaders, and professional colleagues;
- Serve as a senior liaison with Qatar Foundation and other partner universities in Education City on all issues related to students, student affairs, and Admissions;
- Oversee multicultural affairs, diversity and intercultural communication programming for students;
- Oversee student housing and immigration processing of International and transfer students;
- Oversee all issues of student safety (in collaboration with the director of Safety and Risk Management.);
- Assist students in resolving problems and advocates for them, when appropriate;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in education, higher education student services, higher education administration, or related field is required;
- 10+ years of senior administrative experience in student affairs or related field is required
- Knowledge of art and design disciplines is preferred;
- Diverse international experience is preferred.
- Proven understanding of national trends and best practices in student leadership and development theories, models and philosophies, as well as the ability to effectively organize learning opportunities that are consistent with stages of student development.
- Familiarity with Student Affairs practices in the American educational model.
- Highly motivated and innovative individual with an outstanding track record of leadership and management in an accredited college or university setting.
- Experience inspiring and mentoring staff, and success with facilitating the professional development and growth of staff teams.
- Strong leadership skills with a desire to achieve organizational success and to lead by example is required.
- Working experience interacting in sensitive situations with individuals from a wide range of academic, socioeconomic, and cultural backgrounds. Knowledge and skill in making sound independent judgement, maintaining a calm and professional demeanor, and promoting civil and professional communication.
- Commitment to positive relationship building and effective working relationships across all levels of the organization is required.
- Knowledge of Student success, Career planning and Student life cycle is required.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated experience working cooperatively, efficiently, and effectively with a wide range of constituents, including students, family members, staff, and faculty.
- Familiarity with and understanding of student needs and concerns. The ability to research, evaluate, assess, and find solutions for changing student needs.
- Experience of working effectively with external agencies, as appropriate to the role.
- Understanding of student recruitment and admissions practices.
- Commitment to ongoing training and continuous professional development.
- Fluency in English language is required, Arabic language is an asset.
VCUarts Qatar is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community committed to teaching and working in a multicultural and inclusive environment and strongly encourages applications from all racial/ethnic, gender and social identities.
For full consideration, applications are due by January 2, 2024
- Submit the following application materials via VCU eJobs at vcujobs.com:
- Letter of Interest that conveys relevant academic and professional experience and describes experiences and/or professional service related to the position;
- Current CV/Resume;
- Statement on Diversity
- List of five professional references including names with titles and contact information (references will not be checked prior to candidates' approval).
There are generous benefits associated with this position:
- Competitive international salary
- Tax protection for U.S. Taxpayers
- 30% Off-shore supplement
- Medical Insurance (100% employer funded premium and employer cost shared options available)
- Fully furnished villa or apartment including wireless internet
- Annual travel allowance to home of record (to include a spouse and dependents relocated to Qatar)
- Monthly transportation allowance
- Educational reimbursement for up to 4 dependent children enrolled in an accredited K-12 program
- International Professional Development and Research Opportunities
Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to providing accessible and equitable living, learning and working environments free from discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or disability.
University Title: Senior Administrator 1-3
University Job Family: Student Services
Applicants are invited to use the job summary tool to view the VCU job information details.
ORP Eligible:Yes Salary Range: Commensurate with ExperiencePosition Details:Department: Qatar Campus - School of the Arts
Employment Type: UF - University Employee FT
Restricted Status: No
Exemption Status: Exempt