Interpreters/International Language Interpreter/Translators Date Posted:
FAIRVIEW ELEMENTARY POSITION TITLE: International Language Interpreter- Spanish (7:30-4:00)
DEPARTMENT/LOCATION: Fairvew Elementary School
STATUS: Classified - Nonexempt-188 Days
HOURS OF WORK: Monday - Friday - 8 hours per day STARTING SALARY:
- Health (at least 6 hours per day)
- Dental • Vision • insurance (at least 3.5 hours per day)
- Kansas Public Employee Retirement System (KPERS)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid time off
- Pay dates on the 15th and 30th
The job of International Language Interpreter was established for the purpose of providing communication services to all families that speak any other language but English. PRIMARY DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Required SKILLS:
- Translates any communications to or from the assigned schools such as fliers (e.g. special programs, PTO, Watch D.O.G.S, fundraisers), calendars, newsletters (e.g. school, classroom, special education teachers, counselors), and/ or letters (e.g. issued by the school, teachers, or from the parents to any staff member).
- Sends interpreter requests to the Language Management Specialist at least 5 days in advance for Spanish needs and 10 days in advance for any other languages.
- Helps families with school enrollment, withdrawals, and transfers (e.g. enrollment days, kindergarten transition, and Kamp Kindergarten).
- Interprets for a variety of afterschool and evening activities such as Back to School night, Sneak a Peek night, and Open House.
- Assists the nurse, attendance and office staff with phone calls.
- Interprets for a wide range of meetings (e.g. ELL, IEP, SIT meetings, parent/teacher conferences, Parent Night meetings, Site Council meetings, and special education meetings).
- Sends blackboard messages to Spanish speaking families.
- Assists with any school based need that our Hispanic families might have utilizing the proper channels: school counselor, social worker, nurse, principal, and/or community resources.
- Assists freelance interpreters during parent teacher conferences.
- Updates contact information for Spanish speaking families including emergency contact information.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Fluency in English/Spanish
Ability to read and write,
English/Spanish written translation skills
Oral Communication skills PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally, the job requires 80% sitting, 10% walking, and 10% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment. This position requires the performance of (describe physical nature of work). The position involves (list physical activities). The position also requires (identify any other physical or environmental requirements). IMPORTANT EMPLOYMENT STATEMENTS
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature of the work being performed and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. This document describes the position currently available. The District reserves the right to modify job duties or job descriptions at any time.
The Olathe Public Schools prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity in its programs, activities or employment as required by applicable federal and state laws. CLEARANCES REQUIRED:
Criminal Justice Fingerprint, Background Clearance, TB Test