The Student Services Director of Counseling & Advising plays a crucial role in ensuring the success and well-being of students at an educational institution. Their responsibilities encompass a wide range of tasks and areas of focus, including: Setting the Tone for Success: The director sets the tone for the institution's advising and counseling services. This involves establishing a culture of support, empathy, and academic success to create an environment where students feel valued and encouraged.
Overseeing mental health, wellness, and suicide prevention and training as a responsibility that requires a comprehensive and compassionate approach.
Direct Supervision and Development of Counseling and Advising Staff: The director is responsible for managing and overseeing the counseling and advising staff. This includes hiring, training, and providing ongoing professional development for counselors and advisors to ensure they are equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to effectively assist students.
Partnerships and Training with Staff and Faculty: Building and nurturing partnerships with other departments, staff, and faculty is vital. The director may collaborate with academic departments, career services, and other student support services to provide a holistic support system for students. Training for staff and faculty in advising-related matters may also fall under their purview.
Oversight and Continual Evaluation: The director must have a keen eye on the advising and counseling services' performance and effectiveness. Regularly assessing and evaluating advising practices and programs to identify areas for improvement is a critical responsibility.
Retention and Advising-Related Activities: The director is responsible for overseeing all activities related to student retention and academic advising. This includes designing and implementing programs and strategies to support students in their academic journey, assisting with course selection, addressing personal and academic challenges, and ensuring students stay on track to meet their educational goals.
In summary, the Student Services Director of Counseling & Advising is a key figure in shaping the educational experience of students at NCTC. Their role involves leadership, supervision, collaboration, and a strong commitment to student success and well-being. By effectively carrying out these responsibilities, they can contribute to the overall success and satisfaction of students at the institution.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct and oversee all advising processes and procedures for direct and indirect staff for the district in order to provide consistent advising services leading to academic and personal goal completion for students.
- Determine timelines for retention and advising initiatives and outreach efforts to implement at crucial points through the year based on data trends and student needs (i.e., early registration periods, waitlists, withdrawals, major changes, enrollment in courses outside of degree plan/major).
- Coordinate and develop ongoing training for all staff and faculty related to advising, enrollment, retention, wellness, and student success.
- Oversee all advising and resource-related communications, insure timely responses and honor requests sent via all of these methods-advising email and text message accounts as well as Canvas group.
- Utilize technology and data-driven solutions to enhance the delivery and accessibility of advising and counseling services.
- Serve and/or chair committees and grant projects, which elevate strategies to increase retention, completion and transfer rates, and overall student success.