The director of ISSS leads the fifteen member team responsible for providing service and support for the University’s growing population of 4,200 international students and 300 international scholars. Specific duties are detailed below.
- Serves as the university’s Principal Designated School Official (PDSO) with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), chief Responsible Officer (RO) with the U.S. Department of State, and Institutional Contact with the Department of Labor for lawful permanent resident applications.
- Review all international agreements for compliance with federal immigration regulations and related campus policies
- Monitor citizenship and immigration status data in Banner to ensure GSU’s compliance with lawful presence and other University System of Georgia policies
- Ensure that student & scholar records in SEVIS, Sunapsis, and Banner (students) are accurate, fully maintained and secure
- Collect and use data to assist with overseas recruitment efforts and evaluate success metrics for international students
- Responsible for supervision, training, development, and support of ISSS staff at all three campus locations
- Serve as leading advocate for international students and scholars on campus
- Serve on various admissions, enrollment management, tuition classification, faculty senate, and Office of International Initiatives committees to help solve problems, connect individuals and resources, provide information and advocacy, and communicate to/for staff and students
- Monitor status of ISSS budgets throughout year
- Use data and analytics to develop programs and strategic interventions to increase the retention, progression and graduation rates for international students
- Identify ways to increase international student engagement and opportunities for intercultural experiences among the student body at Georgia State University
- Maintain quality relationships with admissions colleagues to ensure seamless and collaborative assistance and information for international applicants
- Liaise with multiple campus and community partners to ensure accurate information and quality support for international applicants, students and scholars
- Serve as main point of contact for international students and scholars during crisis situations, connecting them with appropriate campus and university resources and policies
- Respond to various appeals of ISSS policies and decisions
- Ensure the consistent and quality advising of international students and scholars, the offering of helpful cultural and educational programs for students/scholars, accurate advising of international applicants, consistent and timely processing of requests, and developmental advisement of international student groups
- Represent GSU positively through involvement in professional organizations, with state and national colleagues, and with community/overseas partners
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree and six years of supervisory/management experience; or a combination of education and experience
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Masters Degree in related field; knowledge of federal regulations related to foreign students and scholars, of cross-cultural communication, and of a second language; effective supervisory, management, communication, presentation, database and time management skills; experience with Sunapsis or other immigration compliance software; must meet DHS’ requirements for Principal Designated School Official and Responsible Officer
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: An application, resume and cover letter are required for consideration, and must be submitted through https://jobs.gsu.edu, where a full job description and application are available. The position # is 23000196.