The Director of International Student Programs (ISP) is a full-time, 12-month position reporting to the Assistant Dean of Students. This role manages the departmental budget and carries out the U.S. government-mandated functions that allow Macalester to issue documents for international students to attend the College. This function includes immigration and visa advising, and assisting students to maintain their legal status and access to resources and opportunities allowed by U.S. law.
The ISP staff are responsible for developing programs that enhance the student experience, and provide opportunities for continued dialogue and growth. This includes coordinating a comprehensive peer mentor program, a VITA site supporting the international student population on Nonresident Taxes, a first-year leadership program and supervising three professional staff and 24 student staff. The position is also designed to help promote the integration and full functioning of international students through advising and programming. Develops, designs, and implements learning strategies and assessments to foster learning and development related to identified learning outcomes.
- Counsels and advises international students on immigration visa, work, financial, and tax matters; academic achievement; adjustment to U.S. society and to study at Macalester; and strategies to contribute to internationalism at a high-quality liberal arts college. This includes the advising and orientation of new international students.
- Provides guidance and advising on immigration and visa matters for students.
- Counsels recent alumni participating in OPT or STEM OPT on visa, work, financial and tax matters.
- Serves as Principal Designated School Official (PDSO) for the Department of Homeland Security/ICE/SEVP.
- Ensures College and student compliance with federal guidelines; maintaining paperwork and files.
- Knowledgeable of SEVIS and possess the skillset in utilizing SEVIS online system.
- Coordinates paperwork and communication for new entering students in conjunction with the admissions office.
- Per federal guidelines tracks addresses, provides information to graduates remaining in the U.S. for their 12-month Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) and their 24-month STEM OPT (cumulative 3 years).
- Coordinates a comprehensive NRA tax VITA site supporting students with federal and state taxes.
- Cultivates or maintains established relationships with government officials including, but not limited to CBP, DMV/DVS, ICE, IRS (MNDOR if Minnesota), SEVP, SSA, State Department, and congressional support.
Staff Supervision/Department Operation:
- Oversees the daily operation and management of International Student Programs unit.
- Prepares and manages the ISP budget in accordance with departmental and institutional policies and assess resource needs and submit funding proposal to support those needs.
- Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates 3 full-time staff (Associate Director for Compliance; Associate Director for Advising and International Student Support; and SEVIS Coordinator).
- Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates student employees and mentors.
- Assists the Associate Dean of Students with selected administrative tasks in support of students.
- Maintains individual files and demographic/statistical records on international students and prepares relevant reports.
- Serves as staff advisor to student cultural organizations as needed.
- Provides information and orientation regarding international student affairs to visiting prospective students and their families.
- Coordinates pre-orientation programs geared toward international students, work closely with other staff to integrate these programs into new student orientation.
- Develops programming opportunities designed to support international students and enhance campus understanding of international student experiences.
- Coordinates and direct ISP Mentor Program and the Ametrica.
- Works collaboratively with other departments in Student Affairs, as well as with colleagues across campus.
- Serves as a member of the Case Management Team to track and provide support to at-risk students.
- Serves as a member of the Student Affairs On-call Team, serving in duty rotation and responding to campus emergencies as needed.
- Attends and supports Student Affairs programming, in particular developing a strong collaborative partnership with Residential Life and Center for Student Leadership & Engagement.
- Bachelor's degree; Master's degree in Student Affairs, International Education Administration, or related degree preferred.
- 3 to 5 years of extensive experience with government regulations affecting international students and scholars especially with SEVIS, working with individuals from diverse countries, student programming and supervising both students and professional staff.
- Demonstrated skills in successfully managing complex situations. Problem solving and conflict management skills. Ability to manage multiple tasks of varying priority on a regular basis. Strong organizational skills.
- Experience with developing and coordinating programs. Ability to multi-task without sacrificing accuracy and attention to detail. Ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively with clients, staff, faculty, students, alumni, and campus visitors.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and how they relate to student union management.
The annual salary for this position is $71,000 to $81,000, depending on experience.
At Macalester, we are proud to offer excellent comprehensive employee benefits. Here are some highlights:
- 10% employer contributions to the retirement plan.
- Outstanding vacation and sick time packages, plus an additional 10 holidays.
- Generous employer contribution to Health Savings Account.
- Tuition assistance which pays between 75% - 100% of eligible tuition for employee dependents at select institutions.
- Free primary care for most services through Nice Healthcare when enrolled in a Macalester health plan.
- Access to the athletics fitness facility, wellness coaching, and activities.
These are just some of the great benefits Macalester has to offer! To see our full benefits packages and options, please visit our Benefits Page.