Director of International Student Support and Belonging
Sarah Lawrence College is seeking a full-time Director of International Student Support and Belonging to work within both Student Life and the Registrar's Office.
The Director works in a highly collaborative manner to promote effective logistical, regulatory, and cultural transitions that ensure the personal and academic success of international students.
Reporting to the Dean of Well-Being and Collaborating with the Director of Student Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) and the Assistant Dean of Graduate Students, the Director serves as a both a tactical creator and strategic leader who builds, maintains, and shares resources (tools, interventions, training opportunities, etc.) that expand the capacity of approximately one hundred and twenty Sarah Lawrence international students. The Director also supports the Registrar to ensure accurate enrollment status to maintain compliance according to regulations of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
The Director provides non-academic advising to undergraduate students and manages international student programming and other general support for both undergraduate and graduate international students. The Director also provides leadership to student organizations that focus on international cultures, issues, and identities. A successful Director collaborates consistently and effectively with campus partners to enhance student engagement and belonging in all aspects of the holistic student experience at a residential liberal arts college committed to promoting international student success and community well-being.
Essential Duties Summary
• Assists undergraduate international students with issues related to student visas, College policies, adjustment to the U.S. and to the College, and other related matters
• Serves as the DSO (designated school official) for undergraduate students: processes I-20s for entry to the U.S., provides information about and assistance in filing requests for Social Security numbers and work authorization, including OPT (Optional Practical Training) and CPT (Curricular Practical Training)
• Regularly collects and reviews contact information and enrollment status for international students
• Carefully tracks and updates SEVIS files including semesterly registration related to student and program data
• Provides opportunities for international students to gather and discuss issues of mutual concern and interest
• Maintains the website for international students on both internal and external web pages
• Assists undergraduate international students with online course registration
• Coordinates and develops reciprocal partnerships with campus offices that provide support services to international students
• Advises students and student organizations in recruiting members, event planning, budgeting, and promoting events, and designs student-centered international student programming that focuses on enhancing student well-being more broadly
• Collaborates with the Office of Student Employment to identify employment opportunities for international students on campus, provides information to international students regarding the filing of appropriate tax forms
• Partners with the Director of Student DEIB, Resident Fellows, and Resident Advisors to design and implement related programming and services that support and advance international student well-being to promote healthy cultural transitions
• Provides an orientation for first year and transfer international students and partners with the Director of Student DEIB to develop an optional three-day pre-orientation program for international students, first generation students, and students of color
• This includes collaborating with Graduate Studies to provide an international student experience including new student orientation, how to maintain legal immigration status, and practical assistance with orienting to life in the U.S. (connecting students to local banks, campus and neighborhood tours for groceries, etc.).
• Represents Student Well-Being on various College-wide committees and at signature student events such as Friends and Family Weekend, various Admissions events, Commencement, and the College academic year opening
• Maintains standards of best practices for advising and mentoring international students as outlined by national higher education professional associations (including, but not limited to, NASFA and NASPA)
• Partners with the Offices of Advancement, Admissions, and Financial Aid to support the Davis United World Scholars (DUWC) at the College and serves as the primary liaison for all Davis UWC activities and reporting requirements
• A bachelor’s degree is required.
• A master’s degree in higher education, international education, student affairs, or related field is preferred.
• Ability to serve as DSO, including proof of citizenship
• In depth understanding of international student regulations provided by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
• Motivated and specific interest in community building and working proactively toward enhancing the well-being of community members
• Ability to effectively manage several concurrent and overlapping responsibilities
• Proactive, thorough, and effective communication style
• Comfort working in a professional and residential setting
• Demonstrated success engaging and collaborating with people representing diverse backgrounds and experiences
• Ability to interact with sensitivity and discretion when engaging challenging issues, facilitating difficult conversations
• Uphold College policies, procedures, and bylaws and help students/student groups to do so
• Possess an entrepreneurial spirit and creative initiative to take on new projects and identify opportunities for innovation
• Build relationships with students, faculty, and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences
• Able and willing to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends as necessary
Requirements for Employment
Posting Number: S00363P
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4967581
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.