Associate Director, Strategic Partnerships & Development
Position Summary: Reporting to the Senior Director for Strategic Partnerships & Development, the Associate Director is responsible for managing and supporting comprehensive business development strategies and efforts resulting in sustained and diverse revenue streams. This position will collaborate with senior leaders to develop strategies to identify opportunities for greater engagement through external partnerships.
The ideal candidate will have a mindset in alignment with NAFSA’s strategic vision and belief that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice, and well-being for all. NAFSA believes that diversity in our classrooms, our communities, and our workplaces is our strength. We seek to conduct international education in socially, economically, and environmentally sustainable ways.
Major Functions and Responsibilities:
1. Research, identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward relationships resulting in
sponsorship funding (30%)
- Support cultivation of existing and prospective funders by designing effective strategies to increase donor engagement
- Research and identify strategically aligned foundations, corporations, and other external stakeholders for engagement resulting in sponsorship of programs, products, and services
- Collaborate with senior leaders across the organization to identify innovative sponsorship opportunities to support strategic programs and priorities through an understanding of NAFSA’s unique and comprehensive role in the field of international education
- Lead the drafting of correspondence, requests for funding, and additional materials
- In collaboration with others across the organization, lead efforts resulting in advertising revenue from sponsored content, posts, etc.
2. Research, identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward relationships with foundations
resulting programmatic and unrestricted funding (30%)
- In close partnership with the Senior Director, conduct research to identify prospective funders for various programs and initiatives
- Develop a strong understanding of NAFSA programs, products, and services
- Develop new opportunities for partnerships and giving to support strategic programs and priorities through an understanding of NAFSA’s unique and comprehensive role in the field of international education
- In partnership with the Senior Director, collaborate with leaders across the organization to identify opportunities to support strategic programs and priorities through an understanding of NAFSA’s unique and comprehensive role in the field of international education
- Lead the drafting of proposals and funding requests
3. Support Redesign of Member/Individual Giving Initiatives (20%)
- In partnership with the Senior Director, support efforts resulting in the redesign and
launch of a planned giving and member giving campaign/initiative
- Support the development of key messages and campaigns
- Lead efforts to update relevant website pages
4. Support Identification, Engagement, Solicitation, and Cultivation of High Net worth
- In close collaboration with the Senior Director, support efforts to identify high net worth individuals through research
- Support development of social media messages, correspondence, and other materials needed for engagement
5. Performs other duties as assigned to support the Senior Director and Executive
Director & CEO in fulfillment of strategic goals and objectives. (5%)
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum five years of direct experience in business development
- Ability to advance multiple competing priorities
- Demonstrated success cultivating and maintaining multiple donors, including corporate and foundation relationships, and successfully converting prospects to donors
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong research, analytical, and database skills
- Ability to thrive and demonstrate agility in response to changes in the work environment, while being able to manage ambiguity and be comfortably decisive when dealing with risk and uncertainty.
- Experience with grant writing and proposal development
- Commitment to NAFSA’s mission
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Interest and/or experience with web editing and social media
- Interest in international education and philanthropy
- Ability to craft diverse and compelling messaging and communication
- Strong skills and experience with database management and customer relations databases
- Ability to remain agile and flexible in response to rapidly changing operating environments
- Ability to thrive and be comfortably decisive when dealing with ambiguity, risk, and uncertainty.
- Advanced degree welcomed
- Previous experience with NAFSA, international education, or other association membership organizations
Scope of Supervision
The position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities. Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The week after Memorial Day to Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel is required occasionally related to job responsibilities, especially for the annual
conference, regional meetings, and other leadership meetings. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities.
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters
understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Learn more about NAFSA at www.nafsa.org.
The link to apply is available at: