Study Abroad Advisor
Job Description Summary
The Study Abroad Advisor guides students to align study abroad with their academic plans and professional goals. The Advisor oversees a portfolio of assigned study abroad programs, guides students through the study abroad process from inquiry to re-entry, and serves as the liaison to the partners in the portfolio. This advisor coordinates incoming exchange by liaising with all exchange partner universities and many campus stakeholders to ensure exchange students thrive and integrate at Bentley. The Study Abroad Advisor reports to the Director.
- Promote study abroad to Bentley students through outreach. Host information sessions and tables; represent the department at campus events
- Guide students to select appropriate programs and identify and apply for funding opportunities
- Review student applications, interview applicants, and determine acceptance decisions and program placements
- Create and deliver predeparture session content, independently and in collaboration with colleagues
- Advise students on course planning through curriculum interpretation at Bentley and partner institutions
- Manage course approval process; maintain accurate and timely course equivalency database
- Advise students on entry visa requirements; keep up to date on Consulate requirements and coordinate batch visa application processes
- Address disciplinary, emotional, or physical concerns with individual students to support preparedness
- Advise students experiencing adjustment difficulties (homesickness, housing concerns, course expectations, etc.). Resolve challenges that arise with students, parents, faculty and staff; respond to student emergencies for portfolio of programs and manage communications and resolution with support of Director
- Keep meticulous advising notes and files in shared drive
- Serve as primary liaison to assigned partner institutions/affiliate organizations. Build professional relationships with external partners and campus partners for mutual benefit
- Develop a strong understanding of the academic structure of degree plans to effectively advise students to integrate study abroad into their curriculum to achieve their academic, professional, and personal goals
- Coordinate student enrollment and course registration according to each program's requirements and deadlines
- Coordinate timely and accurate payments for tuition, housing, fees, etc.
- Ensure accurate and timely credit transfer process
- Problem solve challenges with partner institutions while building long-term relationships
- Monitor program evaluations and identify needs for program and process improvements
- Maintain and enhance assigned web and brochure pages
- involvement in changes and trends in the field of international education
- Other projects as assigned
Incoming Exchange Coordination
- Serve as primary liaison to sending institutions for the nomination of their exchange students to Bentley.
- Serve as primary source of information about enrollment and arrival at Bentley. Maintain and enhance webpages, fact sheets, and other materials to promote exchange opportunities at Bentley
- Facilitate exchange application process, manage timeline and create materials in close collaboration with Registrar's Office, Center for International Students and Scholars, and Graduate Academic Advising staff.
- Determine allocation of exchange spots for future semesters in consultation with Director. Negotiate exchange spots annually and keep meticulous records of exchange flows.
- Create student applications in BentleyAbroad, facilitate registration in Bentley courses, housing, and other systems.
- Review academic transcripts, ensure pre-requisites, check course capacity limits, liaise with Bentley academic departments.
- Review immigration documents and create and distribute DS-2019s and acceptance letters
- Provide proactive pre-arrival advising and anticipate student questions and needs
- Present arrival orientation content and other welcome activities in cooperation with Center for Int'l Students and Scholars and other Student Affairs colleagues.
- Create, maintain, and enhance partner agreement records, agreement templates, etc.
- Serve as academic advisor for exchange students for duration of stay
- Ensure timely issuance of transcripts to sending insitutions
- Monitor student success and identify needs for program and process improvements
- Bachelor's degree and one to three years professional work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Sensitivity to cultural differences; familiarity with intercultural learning, cross cultural communication, and student development
- Experience in international education and student advising
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with various constituencies diplomatically and professionally
- Superb attention to detail, initiative, and resourcefulness
- Excellent organization, time management, and prioritization. Ability to manage multiple projects and competing deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and contribute as part of a team
- Good judgment and ability to anticipate and address issues
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access
- Strong presentation skills
- Fluency in English
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools
- Significant experience studying, living, working, or volunteering abroad
- Experience in a role that involves advising, mentoring, counseling, conducting orientations or other student services
- Master's or professional degree in related field, or knowledge of theory and practice in areas such as student development, cultural adjustment, identity development, experiential learning, and intercultural communication
- Proficiency with Terra Dotta software
- Typical office setting with extensive sitting and computer work;
- Some work and/or travel may occur outside of normal business hours for minimal evening or weekend responsibilities
Bentley University requires references checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.
Bentley University strives to create a campus community that welcomes the exchange of ideas, and fosters a culture that values differences and views them as a strength in our community.
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity. The University is committed to building a community of talented students, faculty and staff who reflect the diversity of global business. We strongly encourage applications from persons from underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities, covered veterans and those with diverse experiences and backgrounds.