International Student Advisor DSO/ARO
International Student Services
St. Edward's University of Austin, Texas invites applications for the position of International Student Advisor DSO/ARO. The International Student Services (ISS) supports and advocates for international student visa holders on campus. Reporting to the Director, International Student Services, the International Student Advisor DSO/ARO provides student visa advice, guidance, and mentoring to international degree seekers and exchange students. The advisor performs a wide range of duties to meet the needs of international students on maintaining lawful status and works collaboratively with all members of the college and the community to support international students. This role will assist with institutional SEVIS reporting requirements as well as develop online resources, workshops, and special events for the international office.
- Serves as authorized Designated School Official (DSO) for the F?1 visa program and Alternate Reporting Officer (ARO) for the J?1 student visa holders.
- Acts as school liaison to state and federal agencies, in relation to F?1/J?1 regulation, such as DHS,
- Department of State, USCIS, SEVP, etc.
- Provides SEVIS and functional support for international students including but not limited to
- SEVIS record maintenance and ISSM immigration related transactions.
- Works closely with IT to maintain/update the SEVIS integration application.
- Works closely with campus partners to create a seamless transition and polished communication pipeline for the matriculation of admitted F/J students.
- Reviews and determines DS?2019 eligibility of prospective exchange students and manages
- document issuance.
- In collaboration with the Study Abroad, maintains communication with partners and manages
- processes for inbound exchange students.
- Provides the ISS office with front line support, granting documents, setting up appointments, evaluating and referring email/phone traffic daily to support student requests.
- Prepares internal and external reports/contracts related to the international population.
- Contributes in the planning of events and programs to advance acclimation and adjustment of exchange and international degree seekers.
- Instruct a one credit hour International seminar for F?1 students each academic semester (e.g., immigration regulations, academic and social adjustment) with the Director oversight.
- Engages in professional development and stay abreast of current issues in international student
- Maintains updates to the ISS webpage, forms, task center and other informational sources.
- Manages multiple projects in a fast paced work environment, requiring great attention to detail.
- Other duties as assigned in keeping with growth of global initiatives
For consideration, Bachelor's degree required, masters preferred. Minimum 3 years of employment with direct student service to international students (i.e. academic advising, exchange advising, student visa advising, and at risk student support). Intermediate experience advising international students as a DSO/ARO (2?5 years). Demonstrates intermediate knowledge of federal regulations affecting international students in various visa classifications, including SEVIS reporting. Previous teaching or instructional experience preferred. Demonstrates knowledge of intercultural counseling and university student advisement applicable to non immigrant students. Displays strong analytic, verbal and written skills necessary for understanding, explaining, and ensuring compliance with complex government and university regulations and procedures. Believes in and expresses a caring and supporting student support service attitude. Demonstrates ability to relate effectively with government officials, sponsors, faculty, staff, students and colleagues. Ability to work independently and collaboratively. Strong computer skills and interested in developing skills in Smartsheet, SEVIS integration, Canvas, Banner, ISSM (or other SEVIS integration program) etc. Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and composure, amidst challenging interpersonal interactions. Ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours.