Assistant Director of International Student Advising
The Assistant Director of International Student Advising assists the Director of International Student Advising & Enrollment Management to lead department outcomes and work to implement an advising program that links intentional curricular choices, student goal attainment, and retention. This position serves as the back-up supervisor for the advising department when the Director is out of the office or otherwise not available.
The Assistant Director reports to the Director of International Student Advising & Enrollment Management. The Assistant Director hires and trains part-time hourly advising staff, assigns and schedules work, acts on leave requests, and conducts performance evaluations.
This position maintains close and collegial relationships with other International Programs staff, with faculty, and with other college departments involved in student success.
The Assistant Director provides direct advising service to a designated caseload of students in an International Student Advisor capacity, and supports marketing efforts for International Programs. Some evening and weekend work is required in addition to occasional domestic and international travel.
· Monitor part-time advisor hours and scheduling and assist Director in maintaining oversight for allocated part-time advising budget.
· Continuously assess drop-in advising functions to optimize the experience of those utilizing department services; recommend and implement improvements based on assessment of needs and services.
· Support Director to foster an innovative, entrepreneurial culture focused on delivering outstanding customer service and world-class global learning experiences
· Remain current on trends and issues pertaining to international student services and academic advising, F-1 visa advising and transfer advising.
· Remain aware of customer services best practices and trends; recommend and implement strategies to enhance the student experience.
· Serve as collaborative member of IPEL teams and campus committees as needed
· Support advising in delivering personal, relationship-based care through advising and mentoring for international students in areas
including: cultural, academic, university transfer, personal, immigration, employment, and health
· Support the development of Green River College Alumni Chapters at top transfer universities
· Serve as lead advisor for designated student population
· Provide orientation sessions for international students
· Work collaboratively with IP marketing team and other areas of International Programs and Extended Learning (IPEL) to continuously improve Green River's outstanding and competitive international advising program with a focus on nationwide university transfer
· Market and promote GRC’s educational programs and services to students, parents, international partners, and organizations
· Develop and implement recruitment and retention initiatives and advising improvements in collaboration with Advising Team, Marketing Team, and other areas of IPEL
· Execute other related responsibilities as assigned
Staff supervision, Training and Evaluation
· Interview, select, train, supervise and evaluate part-time staff, including approving scheduled hours and providing professional development opportunities.
· Coordinate orientations and professional development for new and continuing part-time staff to ensure compliance with departmental program goals and objectives, along with college policies and procedures.
· In collaboration with the Director, plan and implement staff development
· Serve as back-up supervisor for advising department when Director is out of the office travelling for recruitment, on vacation etc.
· Assign projects, tasks, assignments and functions to assigned staff.
- At least two years’ experience as a Designated School Official maintaining SEVIS records and advising a caseload of F-1 students.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated intercultural competency
- Ability to provide comprehensive international student advising: cultural, academic, university transfer, personal, employment, immigration, health
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks in time demanding situations
- Ability to work collaboratively with other college divisions/departments
- Attention to detail and good follow through
- Effective interpersonal and project management skills
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment with little downtime
- Experience working in an educational setting
- Ability to effectively utilize computer databases and applications
- Ability to use and learn appropriate technology including MS Office and social media
- Ability to work within legal and ethical guidelines for WA state higher education institutions
- Ability to effectively communicate complex issues to internal and external constituencies
- Ability to interpret academic degree requirements, academic policies and procedures to facilitate student academic progress
- Possess and demonstrate strong organizational and management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous improvements in service and efficiency
- Knowledge of current best practices in international student services and academic advising
- Master’s Degree
- Supervisory experience
- Experience living abroad or studying abroad
- Fluency in a language other than English
- Experience in marketing, recruitment, outreach, or admission
- Experience working in a community college