International Student Advisor
The International Student Advisor will serve on a team of advisors who serve the 4000+ international students, scholars, and dependents at the University. The advising team is responsible for university compliance on immigration matters affecting the enrollment of students and the hosting of scholars. Compliance involves the creation of immigration documents, daily and semester reporting and the processing of applications for benefits. In addition, it includes educating the international population about their immigration responsibilities.
The International Student Advisor will be responsible for representing the advising team working with the Functional Business Analyst in the implementation and maintenance of a new office software program. The International Student Advisor will manage the required creation of forms, processes and communications to implement the new system and be responsible for the ongoing maintenance of the forms, systems, processes, and communications after implementation.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as Higher Education, Cross-Cultural Counseling, International Relations, Law, Humanities, Social Work, Information Technology.
- At least three years of experience working in an office with an international education exchange focus.
- At least three years experience working with U.S. immigration regulations.
- Must hold U.S citizenship or lawful permanent resident status to meet federal regulatory requirements for status as a Designated School Official and Alternate Responsible Officer as required by the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of State.
- Knowledge of F and J immigration regulations required; other immigration knowledge helpful.
- Strong computer skills. Significant technology expertise is required including MS-Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and other web-based applications. Experience with SEVIS, PeopleSoft, Oracle systems and an international education office software program preferred.
- Demonstrated analytical skills to interpret regulations and apply them to university student and scholar situations.
- Solid skills in database applications and experience with data based applications and management is preferred. Experience with SEVIS, PeopleSoft, Oracle systems and an international education office software program preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in the English language preferred.
- Cross-Cultural educational background, second language fluency, living or working abroad experience is preferred.
- Participation in NAFSA: Association of International Educators is preferred.
- Serves as a Designated School Official /Student and Scholar Advisor: Advises students as Advisor On Call, by scheduled appointment, over the phone, video chat, and through email.
- Processes immigration related benefit applications including CPT, OPT, extensions of stay, program changes, transfers in and transfers out, dependent requests and travel signatures.
- Conducts informational seminars on such topics as CPT, OPT and others as necessary
- Serves as the International Student and Scholar Advisor liaison with the Functional Business Analyst to University and external technology offices, committees, etc. on technology related matters including the implementation and maintenance of a new database system for office functions including SEVIS reporting, office procedures, website updates, form creation, student communications, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.