International Student Advisor I
Under the supervision of an Assistant Director for International Student Services, the International Student Advisor I advises on basic rights and responsibilities under the immigration laws of the United States; advises international students on immigration matters related to their stay at Columbia University; acts as Designated School Official (DSO) to issue required U.S. government documents to international students; assists in streamlining and improving ISSO processes and services; collaborates with staff, schools, departments and outside organizations (including vendors) to plan and coordinate collaborative events as needed. Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree (in Liberal Arts, Management, Communications, or Education) and/or equivalent related experience
- Two years’ experience as DSO in a higher education setting advising on federal F-1 immigration regulations and SEVIS
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with people from different cultural backgrounds
- Strong computer literacy and familiarity with web-based applications