International Student Services Coordinator
The International Student Services (ISS) Coordinator serves as Principal Designated School Official (PDSO), administering department and university policies to ensure the university’s compliance with federal immigration regulations governing the enrollment of international students. Responsible for advising international students, the ISS Coordinator interprets and applies federal regulations and academic policies and procedures and makes informed and independent decisions about eligibility for immigration benefits. The ISS Coordinator reports to the Associate Vice President and Dean of Students.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves in the capacity of Principal Designated School Official (PDSO), responsible for University compliance with all government regulations regarding international students; Advises international students regarding immigration and visa regulations to assist them in complying with federal regulations governing their legal status while studying in the United States.
- Collaborates with the Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions office on issues related to admissions processes for international students and timely transition from Admissions to ISS for issuance of I-20 forms. Assists with developing the procedures and protocols for maintaining complete and accurate student data required for SEVIS and monitoring through updating students’ SEVIS records to ensure smooth entry or transition into the University.
- Updates and maintains the Department of Homeland Security Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) for active F-1 students and coordinates institutional compliance actions and reporting. Maintains accurate records.
- Initiates the transfer in and out of SEVIS records, advises practical training applicants, creates letters to the Social Security Administration, and analyzes data on international students' demographics.
- Meets with and advises prospective international students, as well as continuing international students, to assist them with their enrollment challenges be they academic, financial, social, or personal.
- Coordinates international student orientation and on-campus activities to support the social and academic needs of all international students, their matriculation, and engagement.
- Develops and updates policies and facilitates training and information sessions on regulatory topics such as employment and practical training, travel and re-entry, maintenance of non-immigrant status, and other issues of concern to non-immigrants.
- Serves as liaison between UDC, embassies as well as other universities and international organizations as needed to resolve student admissions and enrollment issues.
- Keeps abreast of DHS policies and procedures and maintains skills, knowledge, and best practices of regulatory immigration compliance to remain current in the law and regulations impacting international students.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in college student personnel, education, psychology, business or a related field; Masters preferred.
- At least two (2) years’ experience as a Designated School Official (DSO) working with international programs, providing counseling and advising for prospective and continuing international students in higher education or other similar settings. PDSO experience preferred.
- Per federal immigration regulations regarding SEVIS, the incumbent must be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident.
- Ability to travel to various university campuses to provide services.
- Experience using Sunapsis preferred.