Director of Global Travel, Safety, and Security
Rutgers Global is the university-wide office devoted to comprehensive internationalization for students, faculty and staff. We create resources to enhance our global engagement at home and abroad. The office provides extensive (i) global learning opportunities, (ii) advice and counsel on immigration regulations, application processing and compliance for international students and scholars to ensure excellence in their experience, (iii) international partnership development and facilitation, (iv) academic support for international students, and (v) on-campus global programming that helps to educate the university community and develop global and multicultural competencies.
With over 180 programs in over 50 countries, Rutgers Global-Study Abroad(RGSA) annually enrolls approximately 900 hundred students. Operating somewhat like an undergraduate college of the University, the office is responsible for recruitment, admission, retention, academic support, teaching, assessment, and the functions of offices of student life, housing, counseling, and recreation.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Director of Global Travel, Safety, and Security for Rutgers Global. The Director of Global Safety and Security will report to the Executive Director, Rutgers Global – Study Abroad, with a dotted line report to the Executive Director of Risk Management and Insurance. Driven by the global learning mission of our academic units, Rutgers Global will lead in addressing issues global travel safety and security, in coordination with Rutgers Global, Risk Management, and academic units serving as the primary collaborators and customers. The Director proposes, develops, and coordinates policies, procedures and activities that support the safety and well-being of Rutgers students, faculty and staff traveling abroad for study or university business. The incumbent also provides global emergency and response services for the campus. Under University Treasury, the Department of Risk Management & Insurance is a university-wide resource that assists Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, with issues related to identifying and managing the risks/exposures associated with its diverse operations.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Manages safety, security, compliance and health-related matters for Rutgers international activities.
- Responsible for gathering, unifying, and advising on policies and procedures related to health, safety and risk for Rutgers international programs.
- Researches issues and makes recommendations to the Vice President for Global Affairs regarding policies for adoption by Rutgers Global and the greater University regarding health, compliance and safety issues involving international programs and activities.
- Works with Rutgers Global, University Risk Management and relevant Rutgers staff to manage individual student crises abroad and involving international students/scholars on campus; works with Rutgers Global and relevant Rutgers staff to develop emergency plans on all campuses.
- Trains Rutgers Global and the greater Rutgers community and overseas staff on issues relevant to health, safety and policy implementation to ensure compliance.
- Works collaboratively across all schools to help build a culture of active global engagement characterized by appropriate attention to issues of culture, safety, and security.
- Works closely advising, assisting and providing crisis intervention related to international activity for Rutgers units on all campuses, campus study abroad and international student offices.
- Consults with the Office of General Counsel on new or evolving policies or procedures related to international health and safety of students, staff, faculty and employees.
- Serves as a Title IX Officer for international activities and Risk Management and works with Rutgers Global for all relevant external communications with the press and other constituents, especially during an emergency.
Position Status: Full Time FLSA: Exempt Grade: 07
Standard Hours: 37.50
Union Description: Admin Assembly (MPSC)
Payroll Designation: PeopleSoft. Benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Terms of Appointment: Staff - 12 month Position Pension Eligibility: ABP
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge and interpersonal skills to work effectively with faculty and staff, students, parents, police and government agencies.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and in crisis situations.
- Significant experience living, working, or studying abroad.
- Demonstrated ability to research and analyze quantitative and qualitative data from multiple sources and make recommendations based on that data.
Previous position in higher education with relevant and progressively responsible experience in international risk management and analysis.
Experience coordinating across administrative units and working with faculty or senior staff.
Working proficiency in a foreign language.
Graduate degree in international education or business, law, communications, risk-analysis or related field of study.
Proficiency with computer software, data management, and social media.
This position is the primary on-call incident leader for international emergencies, and must be available to share 24/7/365 emergency coverage (by cell phone) with other qualified personnel. Occasional domestic and international travel for conferences and training, site assessment, and/or emergency response. Travel may be required on short notice to manage an emergency.